Oregon drivers, reinstatement for a CA driviers license?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I'm past this problem and being upset about it.... now it's a curiosity question at this point....

A few years ago, I received 2 speeding tickets within 36 months(in Oregon), both cases I failed to control my downhill speed. This triggered a 60 day disqualification from commercial driving.

California (the issuing state) gave us 3 days' notice and I was almost out of range to return to California within the 3 days. Oregon gave me 30. So my disqualification was effective in California 30 days before it was effective in Oregon. Fine, I returned to work in 60 days, but avoided Oregon for the additional 30 days.

California did not order a reinstatement fee, but OREGON DID!

The question is what was Oregon's authority to do this on a license it didn't even issue?

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Doesn't really sound right to me.. reinstatement fee for what? It wasn't even ...instated (??) by OR in the first place.

I am curious, is it Oregon that says you have 30 days off for 2x speeding within 36 or is that a California thing or? I was always under the impression that yes, other jurisdictions can actually suspend a DL, for violation of the rules even if DL is out of state, but thought that meant say if you get caught in ON at 31mph above limit you get 30 days suspended, that to me means you ain't driving for 30 days unless you do it in Cuba or something. Not "you ain't driving in ON for 30 days."

Good questions, hope we find some good info

4. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I was told that the disqualification was a federal thing..... because of the period between the two tickets less than 3 years....

ncmickey and gokiddogo Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How much over was the speed?

6. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I don't remember, but I want to say ~10 over?

That's not really the question.... I'm questioning what gives OREGON the right to collect a fee($55?) to reinstate a license issued by CALIFORNIA, who did not collect a fee?

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Because both tickets were in Oregon and they’re the state that suspended your license. And since the CDL is federal you have to play by the rules of the state you messed up in.

gokiddogo and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  8. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I get that, but I am questioning what gives one state any authority over a drivers license it didn't even issue...

Years ago, I had an international license for anything except farm vehicles and busses, issued in Germany (I was sent there by the Army). I was told that any authority over it for anything (suspensions/restrictions/renewals), was the country who issued it. Since I wasn't returning, I let it expire without renewing.

9. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    The states have the right to suspend your right to drive in that particular state, then they report it to your home state so they will suspend the actual license

10. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    Under what authority?

11. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    The authority they have over their state roads

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.