Oregon says people can pump their own gas now... chaos ensues

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Anonymousproxy, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Lol
    I love the comments in the article

"I refuse to pump my own gas and I will park there until someone comes and does it for me!"
    Sound familiar....? Lol

Jazz1 and NightWind Thank this.
  3. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I can’t imagine if those people ever left that state lol

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    They wouldn't get very far...

Oldironfan and mjd4277 Thank this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    New Jersey.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I've never heard of such a thing!
    I can see myself going to Or or NJ. I'd just jump out & start pumping gas not knowing any different. After about 2 minutes, nine patrol offices & 10 swat cars would skid into the parking lot with AR-15's & Glocks screaming at me to drop the hose & get on the ground spread eagle.

Geezzzz.....

Cant pump their own gas??? Worse, 62 years old & dont know HOW to pump gas???? God almighty! And they say us in La, Ms, Ar, Tn & Ky are back woods, behind time, hillbilly idiots?? Yeah, right. At least we can pump our own gas.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have. Oregon fuels it for you, so does Jersey.

Scram. lol I fuel it.

I actually grew up when 4 teens would service the car in a fillup at the old gas station, with spilled gas leaded everywhere. I still have all my parts thankfully.

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    The ability to pump one's own gas proves they're not a hillbilly idot? ;-) I'll remember that next time I pump my own gas here in Oregon.

In fact, I pumped my own gas here today at the little country market down the road from me, and my county has more than 40,000 residents.

After I finished pumping and went inside to pay. The young girl who was working handled my pay transaction, including a blueberry muffin, while holding a full fledged gossip conversation on the phone. Now that's hillbilly! :)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I remember one gal NE of atlanta on 85. Maybe a coffees worth a miles out a bit. Old 76 I think it was. TA maybe.

40 fuel pumps going, 3 to 5 trucks backed up at each and everyone.

One younger gal at the fuel desk in a herd of drivers. ALL of who have individual needs.

She was having a BALL there that day. Not too much stress.

I don't recall too many truckstops with 40+ fuel pumps anymore. But I remember her.

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  10. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Funny story about Oregon...

A few years ago we were driving through there in vacation. I'd never been there previously. We pulled into a station and I proceeded to get out and begin fueling. Suddenly from behind me I heard a very authoritative voice say, "Please step away from the pump, sir. Please step away from the pump!"

I thought I was being arrested or something and a million thoughts ran through my head; one of the first being that they had mistaken me for a criminal. I stepped back and even raised my hands.

He looked at me with a sort of sneer and said, "This is Oregon!"

I said, "Uh. Yes. And?"

"This is Oregon, sir!"

"Okay. You got me! What's the issue exactly?"

"We don't pump our own gas in Oregon, sir. You can be arrested!"

I was incredulous. I had no clue.

A few years later I did the same thing, but that time I was just being a rebel! I was driving my truck pulling the camper and my family was in our van. The female attendant went over to my wife and informed her that I could be fined "up to $5,000" (really only $500) for doing that and asked her to please educate me not to do it again. She pointed to a plain wrapped law enforcement car parked at the station to reinforce her point. It was hilarious.

I later learned that only New Jersey and Oregon considered their citizens too stupid to pump their own fuel!!

KillingTime, mjd4277 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.