Orientation/ first three months/ living in truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dragonheart, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Dragonheart

Dragonheart Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Cool. I might get one one day

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Once a week... once a week?!:laughing-guffaw:
    Let’s try ..
    Buffets...
    Outback...
    Cracker Barrel...
    Nothin’ like sufferin’ out here...

starmac Thanks this.
  4. Dragonheart

Dragonheart Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2018
    I do frozen dinners. I like bbq so I do that once a week. I’ve lost weight lol. I do need to try to eat good once a week thanks

Dave_in_AZ and WesternPlains Thank this.
  5. He is just starting out. I doubt he is gonna have $60 - $100. Extra a week to buy or have time to eat every day.
    When you begin your not flush with money. Also you don't need an extra 200lbs on you in a year.
    Once he learns the ropes and gets frugal with money, he will understand how he will do his methods on the road.

Look at what @Dragonheart said above. it's possible and doable.

You eat to live not live to eat.

Fabulous Maximus Thanks this.
  6. McCauley

McCauley Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Well then what do you call the company that has 100 to 200 trucks?

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My fuel gloves are separate from my work gloves for a reason. I don't want fuel on the freight I'm hauling. That's solid right there.

What might be a bit more challenging, and what I learned here on these forum.. chaining, and doing other duties in the snow... most gloves suck. All you can do here is layers. Keep replacing them as they go bad because the moisture will ruin them. And all you can do is dry them on your defroster after you soaked them chaining.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I had a pair I used only for fueling...it was once brown, but now its black.That pair will stink any cab no matter how much Lysol you try to use.

My codriver feels that he is allergic to Lysol spray. So I will replace my gloves more often than the average person might.

All you can do with your pee jugs is toss them as soon as you make them. The rookies are always adverse to pee bottles in the beginning, you have to warm them up to it. At first it can be an awkward discussion but soon when you are on a highway with no shoulder or bathroom for a lot of miles they will warm up to the idea... or they will retire with a plastic bladder baggie on the outside of their body.

Just don't be like my trainer and store weeks worth behind your seat. That's just too much and it might eventualy make your steers overweight.

9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You gotta get rid of them anyway you can. Unbelievable

2BContinued Thanks this.
  10. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I-55 Missouri exit 19 ;) Mom and pop truckstop before the Pilot. Get there before 6pm.

Try the ribs or the pork steak. You can thank me later.

x1Heavy and Dragonheart Thank this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Jokes aside you can make a great deal of money teaming with your wife in trucking. I have been trying to get my parents to do it because they are struggling to find a way to retire.

I earned 80k my first year teaming. The rumor is that Old Dominion teamers make 100k and above. So if you did that you two would be making combined 200k plus at least.

The joke is you shouldn't smell balls for less than 100k (I think TripleSix said that) which kinda stuck to me and made sense. If you can make 50k doing a job solo, you can make twice that as a team. You are both getting paid for all miles driven. So 50k for you becomes 100 as a team, and with your wife she will also be pulling 100k.

And since you are in league with your partner, well.. yeah... $$$$$. Learn to invest and grow your money and you will be setting yourselfs up for a very comfortable retirement.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Fabulous Maximus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.