Orientation in Missoula Starting 9/16/13

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by WA_Slim, Aug 31, 2013.

1. WA_Slim

WA_Slim Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    Update: Passed my skills tests, got my conditional offer, am all set for Orientation next Monday (9/16/13). Looking forward to meeting Mr. Jay and Ddewsbury up in Missoula.

Would love to meet any other WS folks up/over there too if you're in that neck of the woods!

fr8te_sh8ker, jomar68 and Mr. Jay Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Jay

Mr. Jay Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'm currently in Billings waiting on a bus. Should reach the yard sometime after 9, at which point I will be in dire need of a shower and some food. THE ADVENTURE BEGINS.

fr8te_sh8ker Thanks this.
  4. WA_Slim

WA_Slim Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep, I bet you need a shower! :biggrin_25514:

I'll be on the plane is 6 hours and will be in Missoula around 7PM. Should reach the yard shortly after.

Looking forward to meeting you and starting our shared adventure with WS!

5. Mr. Jay

Jun 17, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just a quick update: Slim and I have made it safely to the Missoula terminal and will have more to report soon!

jomar68 Thanks this.
  6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Good to hear. Knock em dead!

7. Mr. Jay

Jun 17, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think the only thing that was knocking people dead was the >24 hour bus stench that had embedded itself on me. A long shower and a proper sleep later, I was feeling human again.

Things here are going really well. If you're able to exist in a fairly steep learning curve and keep up, then this style of orientation is definitely for you. Even if it's not, there are a few options available to you (driver mentor, and such.) Just know that they're not going to issue you a truck until they're comfortable that you're able to command 80,000 pounds of truck on the highway.

Let me know if you have any questions for Slim or I! We'll be happy to answer anything we can!

luvtotruck Thanks this.
  8. Ddewsbury

Ddewsbury Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    San Diego, ca
    Good luck fellas. I am a week behind you, will be there the 23rd. Looking forward to the fast pace.

Mr. Jay Thanks this.
  9. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Let's hear it, I bet they got rid of those mattresses that had the springs sticking out of them! I heard they are pretty tough to get much sleep, a buddy of mine said his room mate snored like crazy and needed a PaP machine they finally ended up sending him home! I am not sure if he got the machine or not and went back, My buddy said he was snoring so loud he was shacking the walls!

10. Ddewsbury

Ddewsbury Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    San Diego, ca
    Come on slim, let us know how it's going! Scheduled to arrive sunday. Looks like no motel room, but barracks. How is that working out?

11. Mr. Jay

Jun 17, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Slim's having some internet connection issues. Once he gets back from his run, I may force him to post. ;)

The "barracks" situation is as such: in the upstairs portion of one of their buildings, they have the "drivers lounge" which consists of the following:

• A full kitchen.
    • Two showers
    • Restrooms
    • Laundry Room
    • A few nice chairs to sit and chat with other drivers and or watch TV.
    • Small classroom (you'll be spending some pretty good time in here watching videos and such...)
    • Three "double" dorm rooms that have single style beds. Bedding is supplied. My mattress is a bit stiff, but I can't speak as to the quality of the others.

There are also two vehicles available for your use. Sometimes you will be sent out on missions for various things (HPE, UA, etc...) Sometimes wrangling.

All in all, the dorm/barracks are pretty good for what they are. "Paradise is a hot shower" and you will at least get that!

Also, if you can find flip-flops or shower shoes... you should bring them with you. Slim and I are having a bit of an issue trying to find some! =p

Today, Slim and I had our HPE's. They've changed a bit since AT posted about them a few years ago, but they're really nothing to worry about. If you're "okay shape" you'll pass them without issue. We had our first "on-road" driving experience today and that went really well. It's mostly just getting used to the trucks. Tomorrow we'll be heading up to another terminal to get some mountain driving in and whatnot.

One thing that continues to impress me about this drastic lifestyle change is just how much everyone is looking out for each other. Everyone we've talked to has been super helpful and more than willing to offer insight. If any of you are reading this, thanks! It's good to know that we have a new family to watch out for us (and whom we get to watch out for as well!)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Puppage Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.