Orientation in Missoula Starting 9/16/13

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by WA_Slim, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Ddewsbury

Ddewsbury Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    San Diego, ca
    That's awesome. Thanks for posting the info When you get a chance can you post what's different about the hpe? Keep on truckin, I am cheering for you although I am not there until Sunday. For those that might need help, I am bringing my car

duane

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Jay

Mr. Jay Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Today was a fun day filled with mountain driving. Depending on the situation and what's going on, you'll have one of the following two experiences regarding this:

1) A very short (1 mile...) hill that is very close to the Missoula area. You'll learn shifting techniques and jake-brake control a bit, but not really have enough of a run to practice it.
    2) A fairly LONG pass on Highway 12 (on the way to Helena from Missoula...) that will both put the fear of god into you, and build some confidence at the same time. Shifting on ascent or descent is the same as shifting on flat ground, just with a different split. It's very possible and completely safe.

Tonight is a bit bittersweet as the previous week's class has out-processed and are leaving late tonight to head out to get their trucks. I'm happy for them though, they all made it!

4. Ddewsbury

Ddewsbury Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    San Diego, ca
    Sounds great. Thanks for posting. I am on my way to missoula right now. About two hours ago I ran into Tim and truck 2077. We had a nice chat. Will be hitting the econolodge later tomorrow. Thanks to Tyrone and Tia for being so helpful and answering all of my questions.

5. WA_Slim

WA_Slim Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    Sorry for not posting for a while but Mr. Jay has done a great job keeping everyone up to date on our Watkins Shepard Orientation journey.

Today was our sixth day (yes...they do have Orientation on Saturday now - started that two weeks ago). It looks like we're pretty much "in". We've some backing to get caught up on and some more classroom stuff on this coming Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Assuming nothing "blows up" - we're in. They'll have a bunch of folks from different parts of the company come and talk to us on Thursday and we'll sign all the hiring docs and we'll be off to get our trucks at various remote locations.

What Mr. Jay has posted about all the folks being very nice and helpful here is 100% correct. The trainers, the various staff, the other drivers (long-time and others ahead of us in the Orientation pipeline) have all been great.

FYI: Watkins & Shepard is looking for more new drivers right now judging by the size of the Orientation classes before and after ours (both had around nine drivers in them). If you're looking for a good company to drive for you could do a lot worse than W/S.

PM me if you have any questions/concerns you'd rather not share on the forum.

Puppage Thanks this.
  6. WA_Slim

WA_Slim Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    Forgot to say, looking forward to meeting Ddewsbury tomorrow too! :biggrin_2559:

7. Ddewsbury

Ddewsbury Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2013
    San Diego, ca
    I am at the hotel now. I look forward to meeting you on Monday when I start orientation. So you say there's at least nine people starting Monday?

8. WA_Slim

WA_Slim Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    Forgot to mention too, Mr. Jay and I have met lots of drivers that have been with WS for a long time (5, 7, 9, 10, 12 years for example). If that doesn't say something then nothing will. :biggrin_255:

9. WA_Slim

WA_Slim Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep, there were nine names on the board in the Recruiters office for the 9/23 Orientation in Missoula and I asked them if that was accurate and they said yes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.