orlando,fl area school advice

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by sundog, Oct 25, 2011.

1. sundog

sundog Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2011
    okaly, I am looking to get my cdl so that I can go drive in the oil field in Tx or La. I am currently looking at Mid Florida Tech at $2300, 8 weeks long but can't start until dec 5. or Sage in Ft pierce at $5000, 3-4 weeks long and can start right away. I drove trucks back in the late 70's and early 80's pulling everything including, cement for halliburton, lowboy flats, tankers, dumps and whatever else i could get in. now i need to find a new job and with the oil field hiring, i want to go get some of that money. Any advice or comments, let her rip.. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. catahoula

catahoula Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Townsend,GA.
    There was a school in Sanford Fl Truck Driver Institute tdi 1800 242 7364 A friend of mind went there about 10 years ago

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    The school Catahoula mentioned I actually went to back in 96'. My wife went there too. Little more costly but is only three weeks. They also have just a weekend class schedule but of course it will take quite a lot longer.

I wouldn't stress too much on picking a school. They are all pretty much the same except the "backyard" training schools. I would stay away from those. Your best bet is going to be to call some companies you are interested in and see if they have a preference in what school you attend. Some companies will only take you if you go to the school of their liking.

If you can find company training personally I think that would be better. No interest, no money down, yes there is usually a contract but if you went to a regular school you would be signing a contract with a bank. Plus you are guaranteed a job as long as you pass the test.

Don't worry about the quality of education you will be getting. Its not rocket science and for the most part is just practice until you get it. You are going to learn more on day one once you are with your company trainer then you did the whole three weeks of school! School is just there to get you ready to go with a trainer. No more, no less!

5. vmaggs

vmaggs Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Sarasota, Fl
    Read my post back in May on MFT, good school for the money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.