OTR tanker companies for new grads?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Switcher, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Switcher

Switcher Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    I'm planning on getting my CDL in the coming month or two, and after much thought, I've decided I want to go tanker. I have no objections to getting my hazmat endorsements if that means more $. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Prime and Schneider that have OTR tanker positions for new graduates. I think Trimac does, but I don't know if the school I'll be attending meets their requirements. I've also emailed Superior Carriers to find out what schools they hire grads from. I'm interested in OTR because I want to save as much money as I can, and not having a monthly rent payment would go a long way towards that.

Which brings me to another question, which may be beyond the scope of this board, but, when I do go OTR, I plan on leaving the place I'm renting now. Which would, technically, make me homeless, because I'd spend my home time w/family or friends. What address would I give the DMV/employer? Will they accept a PO Box #? Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can't use a PO box # for cdl.
    Do you have a friend or relative that will let you use their address and receive mail there?
    Escapees RV Club can set you up with a legal address in Texas or Florida that's good for cdl and mail. Texas would be best because it's tanker heaven; lots of good tanker jobs there. No personal income taxes in Texas or Florida.
    Here's some that hire new grads right out of school:
    SVTN (svtn.com)
    Tidewater Transit
    Girton Propane Service
    McKenzie Tank Lines
    CTL Transportation
    plus the ones you already mentioned.
    You'll have to call and ask if they accept graduates from the school you plan to attend. Schneider Bulk hires from most schools.
    @ExOTR lives in Texas and may give you some advice on the address issue.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Switcher and Puppage Thank this.
  4. rz14nj

rz14nj Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    go with schneider bulk, get your year in and you can pretty much go anywhere after that if you choose.. plenty of us on these forums that got our start there. can't comment on current earning potential because I've been gone for over a year.

Switcher and ethos Thank this.
  5. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    In order to transfer to a Texas CDL you have to have proof of residence, plus a utility bill. My advice would be to short term lease a really cheap apartment, or go on roommates.com and get a 200-300/month room until the license comes though. Then you can use the RV club @Chinatown mentioned, or use a PO box.
    You can also get mail sent to local homeless shelters etc.

Switcher Thanks this.
  6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.

Prime would love to keep you homeless

7. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    I spoke to a recruiter from Superior Carriers today, I'm about an hour away from a school that they'll hire from, and too far from their terminal, so that may not work out, since I don't have a car. Is there a big difference in pay, as a newbie, for hauling food grade vs chemical/hazmat?

8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Chemical virtually always pays better in the long run. That said, tanker experience is tanker experience. For a rookie, flip a coin.

I prefer the chemical side of business. There are more options.

Switcher Thanks this.
  9. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    I'm going to call recruiters from Prime and Schneider tomorrow to see if I'm in their hiring zone. If I'm not I'll either have to consider moving, which I don't want to do, or expand my horizons to flatbed.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Britton Transport seems a good flatbed company.

Switcher Thanks this.
  11. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    A UPS store can.work out after you obtain your CDL I used it for my business and instead of saying po box # whatever I use Suite number instead of PO

alpo718 and Switcher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.