OTR TRUCKER SHORTAGE and Young Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jay5GS, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    .50 a mile i get about 3200 miles a week. Plus 2 weeks paid vacation. 7 holdiays paid. I work them for dbl pay. I pull a flat.

bryan21384 and Jay5GS Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I only read your last paragraph of your book you just replied on.... the bottom line, “You work to live, not live to work”..... even though I put in some hours when I’m busy(I don’t refuse loads) , I still go home every night to what I define my “vacation home” and sleep in my bed. I don’t live in the a big city.......

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. bbq247365

bbq247365 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Companies are completely out of touch with reality for most drivers.

No raises for years and years and when the raises do come they amount to 1% per year and the middle and upper management are very proud of that fortune they blessed us with.

Meanwhile, more inexperienced drivers are put on the road, with less training, cheaper equipment, less PM’s are being done by less experienced mechanics and worsing attitude and lower morale than ever.

Oh and you spend all your time at work because groceries are $105 minimum a week.

Gee, why wouldn’t you want in this business???

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Snakeschasingcars

Mar 22, 2018
    No you ran yourself off... You dont need your hands to look at gps on your phone... You dont need to drive like Payto the point your getting critcal events every day... I drive hard maybe slightly to aggresive... And i only had critcal event go off 3 times in 3 years... Pay attention...

6. bbq247365

bbq247365 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Can I have your autograph?

7. Snakeschasingcars

Mar 22, 2018
    105 minimum for grociers???

1 large box cerial and quart of milk less than $5.... Breakfast all week. Less than 1$ a day...

Good Lunch meat and some cheese and bread. $20 for the week for the good stuff....

Healty frozen meals are about 2.50 each. Easly microwaved and prety #### good these days...

Easly eat good on less than $50...
    One could buy cheap #### and get buy on $30 bucks and not skip a meal...

bryan21384, taodnt and Jay5GS Thank this.
  8. Snakeschasingcars

Mar 22, 2018
    Yup... Lay down and open your mouth. I sign by peeing in the snow.

bryan21384, taodnt and Jay5GS Thank this.
  9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Let me be the first to slap you on the back. I commend you for what you do. That's the truth.

But I'll also say: that sleeping in the truck, in God knows what State & when bull-####, isn't my cup of tea. You can have it. All of it. And I'm not even slightly jealous.

wore out Thanks this.
  10. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Most rasies are followed by higher cost in health benefits. So there is really no raise at all .

11. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    You don’t set the tone here, kid. The old veterans do. That’s lesson number one.

Here’s lesson number two: The low paying trucking jobs are not there so you can buy a big house and fancy cars. They are there to give you experience and valuable skill. They are apprenticeship with pay. Once you get that move on.

If you learn lesson one and two then maybe at the age of 55 you can be living in a nice house and drive a nice car and pay for your kids college. If you keep your nose clean.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.