otr vs. local

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by justanouthernewbie, Nov 18, 2009.

1. justanouthernewbie

justanouthernewbie Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2009
    canada
    in most threads about local jobs, i see everyone say that you need 1 to 2 years otr first. now is this due to insurance issues or is it actually due to the fact that local companies require the actual experience? im not sure how it works with insurance and new drivers in the usa, but here in ontario if you go through an accredited (spelling) school then most insurance companies here will automatically credit you with 2 to 3 years experience. will this help newbies in the province get local jobs ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Mostly insurance for some stupid reason and some on the company. They need someone who can drive in a city environment without tearing up street signs, cars, trucks and pedestrians! It's way different than sitting most of the day moving from one lane to another on an interstate or a long stretch of deserted highway or back road! (well if there was such a thing as a deserted highway anymore!)

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    As far as I'm concerned, local driving is much more difficult than OTR. Yet, OTR companies don't agree. Don't get me wrong, driving a truck is serious business, either local or OTR. Insurance companies go strictly on stastictics. So, what has happened in years past, stasticticaly, means they make decisions with that info. A newbie with no experience, stasticticaly, will have an accident more so driving locally than OTR. Just as a trucking company with 2000 trucks will wreck 1-2% in any given month. (Stastictics) The moral of the story is don't get into accidents, then insurance companies will OK all new hires at some time in the future.:smt071

5. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    Experience taught me to beware of local jobs offered to newbies. Generally these are jobs that are so awful no one else wants them. If a company offers you a local job fresh out of school, ask lots of questions and talk to their other drivers before accepting.

I tried local with only a few months experience. I worked for two different companies and they were both so bad I didn't stay long. Now I have a work history that shows my first year job hopping.

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I've driven local/regional as long as I've been driving. My first job out of driving school was for a local 7Up distributor, my entire route was downtown Denver and a few stops just to the edge of downtown. Alleys, cars, peds, buses, bicycles, bums, it was a great way to start.

After that I went to work for the local McD's warehouse delivering to the stores in Colo. and Wyo. That is a pucker factor when your putting a road tractor (out of town 2 days runs were made with a 379) and a 48' trailer alongside most of these stores without the help of spotters or anyone to stop traffic for you. It takes patience, practice and silent cussing.

For the last 12 yrs I've run local/regional for a container hauler. They require only 3 yrs exp. to get in the door, but they actually prefer that you have a good knowledge of the area and can read a map. Personally, from what I see of most OTR drivers, they should start doing local first then go on the road. Most OTR drivers suck at driving in the city and backing, I believe it's because they spend 90% of their lives going forward whereas a local driver will spend 60/40 going forward or backing into a dock and thus have more abilities.

7. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95

I would think supply and demand has something to do with it. Decent local jobs will have many applicants for limited openings in a competitive industry. I was lucky to land a good local gig at a young age. I had a little under 2 years OTR and was only 22 when Con-way hired me. From my experience, I don't think there is a set amount of time or age to land a good local job. Con-way is self insured but has hired 21 year olds that never drove a truck before and are now million mile drivers here. This place sucks at times but in the end I'm glad I found it.

8. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    Not always true, I started out working local for a very good, very large, well paying company with benefits and paid vacation when I started driving and I never even went to a driving school, sometimes you just get lucky if you go out and knock on some doors.

If you can get a gig like that don't be stupid and give it up like I did, you will kick yourself in the ###, I did it for less than a year and then did a stupid thing, bought a truck.

9. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North

I agree 100%, it is the best experience. The company I started with wouldn't even let the new drivers out of the yard until they mastered backing up. These trucking schools don't prepare you for this stuff, they barely even teach these guys how to back up, and I am sure they don't spend much time learning how to manouver a truck through city traffic. Their couple weeks of training doesn't prepare you for anything from what I have seen. Any idiot can drive a truck up and down the road, it takes skill to manouver through busy, tight city streets.

I started out shunting trailers as a kid and it was the best experience I ever had, that is how I basically learned everything about driving trucks. by the time I was old enough to go out on the road, I could blind side back better than most guys could sight side back. I think every new driver should spend a few weeks shunting trailers around a busy yard and learn a few things about backing up and manouvering.

10. justanouthernewbie

justanouthernewbie Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2009
    canada
    actually when i say local, i mean gone all day and back for the night. if i can get something like a 500 mile round trip doing multiple drop and picks or just a dedicated run dont matter, that would be great. im not going to be too picky, in this economy i will take bout anything i can get to start with but im trying to figure if its worth my time and effort to be pounding these local companies or to just go for the otr jobs. i just started unemployment benefits so i have 14 months left yet, however i in no way want to hold out for that local job for that long because everything i hear is you need to get behind the wheel as soon as you can after you get your licence. its been 3 months already since i finished school but still cant get my licence due to the strike here in ontario, and i already feel the rust setting in due not being driving for so long :(

11. mogan2006

mogan2006 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2009
    fort myers, fl
    Its all about finding a local company that will hire u. mostly smaller companys and distributers. I have no OTR experiance and iv been driving local for 2 years.:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.