OTR with Contact Lens

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TNtrucker07, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TNtrucker07

TNtrucker07 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I start OTR next month and I have a question from those of you who wear contact lens. I am trying to figure out just how to manage the putting in and taking out of my contacts. If you wear contacts, you know that you really need to wash your hands before taking them out but especially before putting them back in. How do you do this in your sleeper? I cannot just go into a truck stop and do it -- I am too blind without my contacts to even find the door of the truckstop and I don't even own a pair of glasses. Advice would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I don't wear glasses or contacts, but I did team with a gal once who did. A lot of times she would sleep with them in and then go into the t/s in the morning to change them. However, as a better suggestion, keep some anti-bacterial wipes in your truck in addition to your contact solution. Wipe your hands off before you handle ur contacts and u should be fine. For added "protection", keep a jug of water in your truck at room temperature to rinse off ur hands after wiping them with the wipes. This same jug can also be used to rinse toothpaste out should you be stuck somewhere that doesn't have a bathroom to brush ur teeth. Of course, precautions to avoid the toothpaste backwash should be taken (i.e. a plastic cup)

4. Aligator

Aligator Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Mississippi
    I wear contacts. I take them out every night.
    Here's the routine:
    I have a wash cloth and towel in the truck along with water. I wash my hands. So what if I drip a little on the floor?
    Then I spread the towel out on my bunk, and change my contacts while kneeling at the bunk. I use the saline solution to wash them off every morning - just spill it on the towel - and I keep a pair of glasses for emergency use in the middle of the night.
    You know not to get that handy wipe stuff in your eyes, right?
    And your eyes may dry out while driving at night or in the bright sun, so take some re-wetting solution along, too.

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I've been wearing contacts for a long time. I'm probably not as careful as I should be to wash my hands but in the evening after going to the building and washing I take them out. In the morning stick them back in. I've never had any problems and I'm sure it would give the eye DR the heebee geebees to know that I don't wash with hot water and soap immediately before putting them in or taking them out. But I live in a truck for god's sake. What am I supposed to do?

6. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    You really need to get a pair of glasses, what happens if you get into a problem and cant wear your contacts for a couple of days? or even one day for that matter?.......

There are lots of multi use solutions out there, get one that cleans and rinses for storage, keep some water in the truck as suggested above and you should do just fine......:toothy4:

7. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    I second Luv's statement. All contact wearers should have a back-up pair of glasses, especially if you're blind as a bat without lenses. They don't need to be particularly fashionable (and hence, expensive), nor do you need to have them changed every time your vision changes. But you really need to keep a pair with you in the truck, just in case...

8. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    thought it was a requirement to have a pair of glasses for back-up,might be wrong

9. 10gph

10gph Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2006

You are correct, If you wear contacts you are required to have glasses with you at all times in your truck. And from experience glasses are much easier to contend with while otr. My solution is contacts and sunglasses during day driving and anti glare coated glasses for night and bad weather driving. The expense is worth it.

10. Elusive

Elusive Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2007
    MI
    About a year ago i made the switch from the contacts that have to be taken out every night, to ones that are only taken out every 30 days, at which time you replace them with a fresh pair. They didn't cost much more for the year supply, and I have had zero problems. I highly recommend them. Also, If I were to ever lose one, I already have spares that are ready to put in. An extra bonus is it's nice to wake up in the middle of the night and actually be able to see :) They have made life much easier.

11. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I wear mono-vision toric lenses. They can be a challenge after wearing them after 10-12 hours.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.