Over The Road Repair Shop Guide

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cybergal, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Brickman has come up with an idea here that is to good to pass up!

Please Help us in making a list of Over the Road Repair Shops/Independent shops.

We would like to post a list that would consist of these types of Shops State by State.

Once we have the list started we can add them to each state and make a list.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Here's a site that already has the info compiled. Penske, Ryder, and Volvo Action Service all use it, among many major trucking companies. It's a great resource!

NTTS Truck Repair

oldtrucker2u and joseh8772 Thank this.
  4. DONNALOU

DONNALOU Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Louisville,Kentucky
    I have a site for all the freightliner dealers in the United states.Would that be helpfull?
    We've needed it several times.Hubby always has a hard time finding them so I save them to my fav.

5. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    I'm going to throw my endorsement for one very simple chain: Truckstops of America.

They have raised the bar in terms of quality in their service, the training of their staff, and the ability to get you in and out as quickly as possible. They warrant their work, and any other T/A will honor the warranty.

The only negative issue I have, is that like most all shops theses days, you sometimes feel as if you have had major surgery performed on the truck, because the bill can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. They are like most others in inflating the cost of parts, and the labor rates are over the top, but that's the way things are out here. Convenience stores do the same thing.

I have had better luck with them than will all the others combined, and I absolutely hate truck dealers with a passion. A simple problem will take sometimes two days to fix, and it's ridiculous.

My last visit with one of them, came about six weeks ago. I drive a 2006 Freightliner Columbia, but it was just out of warranty. I had an electrical issue, and it was wreaking havoc with all of my computer controlled electronics.

I was near Cordele, Georgia at the time. I gave them a call to let them know I was on my way, and when I arrived, I was directed straight to a bay, the mechanic tuned in on the problem immediately, and a hour later, I was on my way with everything back to normal. The charges came to a whopping $391.00 for the diagnosis and the replacing of two batteries that had shorted out and caused the alternator to charge wide open, but I consider that worth it, because my day was not totally lost, and it could have been much worse had I been forced to seek a Freightliner dealer for service.

oldtrucker2u and MuddyWaters Thank this.
  6. DONNALOU

DONNALOU Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Louisville,Kentucky
    Turbo ....We go there to get parts mostly.
    Alot of the times they are located at T/A's

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    My experiences with TA service shops indicate that I must respectfully disagree with TurboTrucker. :wave:
    For the most part I rank TA shops with a good place for a tire repair. If you have the time to wait.

And as an O/O I preferr to do my business with other O/Os rather than a chain truck stop. But thats me.

cherokee96red Thanks this.
  8. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Now for repair shops or road service.

My experience with Sapp Brothers service shops has been mostly good. With many of the Sapp family still involved with the business it feels like you are working with a O/O even tho they are a small chain.

I've dealt with the Cheyenne shop (10 miles from home), the Omaha shop, and the Council Bluffs shop.

I can't remember the name of the independant shop but they are located immediately behind the Sapp Bros Council Bluffs IA on the same side of the road. They have always been quick and resonable priced for any of the times I've stopped there. I highly recommend them.

Graybill Tire and Repair owned by Vic Graybill located in Rock Port MO immediately beside the interstate at exit 110 on I 29. Graybill Tire & Repair
    800 279 4288

Stevens Truck Power offers road side repair as well as shop service. Owned by Travis Stevens in Fillmore UT. 435 743 5550

Mobile laser alignment offered by Laserline, INC owned by Kraig Kestie 208 420 3427. He is based in Jerome ID but with being mobile he does travel around. My experience there was after spending many many $$$$ on front end work, tires and alignments and nothing seeming to help he was recomended to me from another O/O on another trucking website. After a very reasonably priced visit to his services my truck has never drove as good as it does now. I've had it for about 3 years and 334,000 miles.

The KW shop in Cheyenne just west of the Sapp Bros truck stop at exit 370 is OK. Like any shop the prices seem to be high but they do decent work.
    (307) 778-9100

Lock Trucking out of Wheatland WY right along I 25 does great work as well. The head mechanic has over 20 yrs experience. (307) 322-2640

9. GreenLite

GreenLite Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Los Lunas,NM
    BIG WEST,off 6th st and menaul,east of I-40,Albuquerque,NM
    speedy service,i don't get a cut for promoting this guys,i've just been
    happy with thier service.

10. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    I don't know how long it's been since you've visited a T/A shop, but just last week I had another good experience with another one, and that was the one in Madison, Georgia. I had part of my trailer lights go out.

I checked in, was in a bay within a half hour, and the problem was fixed in fifteen minutes. $43.72 later, I was on my way. They were busy too.

I don't know if this is something new, and I didn't inquire into it, but my feeling, based on what I observed that day, was that T/A is beginning to amend some of their policies that previously kept things at a standstill at most of their locations.

They seem to be running things similar to how hospitals run emergency rooms, for a lack of a better description. They prioritize things based on the problem. They dedicate their bays for certain repairs, and they don't let up on those mechanics while drivers are waiting to get into the shop. The shop manager on duty really kept on top of things, and comments to the home office were encouraged, based on the driver's experience while there.

I have seen Petro begin to do the same thing with their shops, but to a lesser degree that I have seen with T/A

The Petro in Carnesville, Georgia northeast of Atlanta, is awesome. I have hit that place at the worst times of the day, in the past two years, and got right in for repairs. They run a really decent shop.

I suppose that it really depends on the location, and just how many people they have in line, but I have seen a definite improvement over what it was a few years ago. Of course, the prices are way up there too, but that's the breaks I guess.

11. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I'll try them again if I am around one and need work. I'm glad they work out so well for you.

About 2 years ago I had my truck/trailer into the one 3 miles from home for oil change/service. I guess part of their package is to adjust the brakes. Well not being a dead brain steering wheel holder my brakes did not need adjusting but they did them any way. Empty I was able to stop just fine and didn't notice any thing wrong. Loaded to 80K was a different story and it scared the brown stuff outa me. When I crawled under to adjust the brakes were WAY backed off. I dunno how they figured that one.

Needless to say now I'll drive 7 miles farther to the Sapp Brothers shop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.