Over weight

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Jeff Holcomb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jeff Holcomb

Jeff Holcomb Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I need some assistance plz. I was doing a clean up job with a 60yard dump trailer.Dot pulled me over and scaled me.He wrote me up for being over weight on 2axlis. I was loaded with broken mats for the pipeline. I scaled my load on another job and I was at 76,200 with 10 mats. I was loaded with 10 on the day I got this ticket. I have never had a ticket in 16yrs of driving trucks and I don’t know what I should do.The fine is $1,960.Can Anyone Give me some guidance
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Well you must of been real heavy on those 2 axles for a fine like that.

Did he not tell you how much over you were.????
    Not much advise to give other then don't load it heavy.

Jeff Holcomb Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You might had some mats piled up on one end. It happens I think. They slide around back there don't they?

Overweight fines by and large are annoying, money draining but pay and move along. Not to pay leads to bigger problems you don't want.

Ive had weight tickets in the thousands written to the company instead of me for that reason on weights so high as to make the license I carried for that purpose meaningless. (Containers) I did not often get overweight too much unless I carried pallets in addition to the regular food cargo in the reefer which usually pushes it a thousand plus over gross. Since I do not carry pallets as a rule, that problem has gone away for me.

I also cat all loads as I can. 10 dollars is a good investment against a overweight problem.

Enough about me, my and I. I hate that. I would think your mats piled up on the trailer axles didnt they?

Highway Sailor and Oldironfan Thank this.
  5. Jeff Holcomb

Jan 10, 2018
    It says I was over 2,210 on axle 4/5

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Not sure if your wagon is air ride but if it is , install a gauge and never wonder if you heavy again.. deadly accurate.

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Well i would of taken it to the nearest scales and checked the weight again to see if DOT were correct if not they you could use the proof to fight the fine however your best off paying the fine, and learning from the incident remember we all learn from our mistakes.

8. Jeff Holcomb

Jan 10, 2018

9. Jeff Holcomb

Jan 10, 2018
    I really wish I would have done that. I have a court date should I retain a lawyer

10. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    What state are you from? Weight vary from state to state so its hard to help without knowing where your from. You didn't go weigh it after getting the ticket? I think if l got a 2 grand ticket l'd be weighing it pronto. I would think you're sol with the little info you're sharing.

11. Jeff Holcomb

Jan 10, 2018
    I got it in Tx and no I didn’t go scale it after.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.