Overhaul help please...

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Gix1k, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I made a thread the other day about my "new to me truck" that's blowing oil. I found out from a mechanic that it needs an in frame rebuild. My question is if the head checks out good after testing should I reuse it or buy a new one? It's a Cat c15 motor.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    If the head checks good ypu could get away with a gold rebuild.

Gix1k Thanks this.
  4. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    So what was the problem on the truck leaking oil? Can't you call the dealership from where you bought the truck from and ask them to step in and help? Can't hurt. I mean you just bought the truck and drove it home.

5. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    It was determined that it needed an in frame rebuild. I called the dealer and he ordered the in frame kit for me and i pay labor for install and incidentals. I have to pay $350 to have the head checked. If it's good, he suggests I reuse it. If it's bad, he said he might help out on that cost.
    I'm thinking even if it checks out good I should replace it. Mechanic told me if I reuse it and it goes later on and starts blowing head gaskets, that's a $950 part and labor hours to install. It may be to my advantage to just do the head while it's already off the truck.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    If it was me get another head. If it has alot of miles on it. But may I suggest an aftermarket one. The heads from cat lately are not of quality.

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  7. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
    Well that's good that the dealership is paying for some of the cost. I probably would get a new head while it's off. Don't want to do this #### again down the road.

Aamcotrans and Gix1k Thank this.
  8. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Yes, very nice of the owner to help me out. I wasn't able to think straight on where to begin.

9. lwlevens

Feb 9, 2018
  10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Not meaning to sound like an ###, but hopefully you learned a lesson with all this. I have a feeling that the dealership saw you coming from miles away. They knew they could pawn this off on you. Chock it up as a lesson learned. Good luck.

Socal Xpress and JonJon78 Thank this.
  11. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I don't have much doubt here. You live and learn. I'll extend myself next time and just buy new.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.