Overheating International prostar

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Kayrae32, May 31, 2023.

1. Kayrae32

Kayrae32 Bobtail Member

May 31, 2023
    We have a 2015 International ProStar with a Cummins ISX motor. It started overheating last year and we had everything you could think of redone on it trying to fix the situation close to 8000 in repair. Finally they replaced a sensor on the left side of motor, something to do with the def. That finally worked for a while. Till it was sitting there running and the def sensor malfunctioned causing it to say def was extremely low, throwing it into derate mood. At this time the dozer valve, air compressor, inlet and nox sensors, plus the def sensor that worked previously. With no luck.
    So first thing I noticed is the engine oil temperature will rise with the water temp following closely behind. I noticed i always smell the same thing when it has regened. Any suggestions? Could this have alot to do with the def system? Is it normal to have I'll temp rising and pretty much mirroring the water temp?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Verified its overheating or just trusting the gauge to be accurate?

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    What are the oil temps that you are seeing?
    What weight oil are you using?
    @Heavyd

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry, but this is just too vague. What temps are you seeing? Are you getting any temp codes? What all has been done? When a truck is doing a regen, there is a weird smell, this is normal. Normal things to check, replace thermostats, wash out the rad, check rad fin condition, make sure the fan comes at about 207 degrees.

062 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.