Oversized loads, who does them, and routing?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Shotgun94, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Who does oversize much? Do flatbeds do it a lot or is it mainly step decks or rgn trailers?

Do you use a certain gps to help you stay on the correct route? Do you deviate from the written route because maybe the written route in Texas or someplace isn't the best way?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Depends on the load. For longer loads, flats beat out steps and rgns. But the taller or the heavier the load, the lower you’d want that deck to be. There is no one trailer that can haul it all. If you want the most versatile trailer possible, it’s the 53ft step.

I use an old GPS that I bought in 2003. I read road signs to stay on route. In some places, you see your highway route and then you see your highway number with Truck Route. I follow the marked truck route.

If the route is questionable, like Texas will route a superload through downtown Dallas when there’s absolutely no need to even go through there, I will call the state and get the permit amended. When pulling a big load, even with pilot cars, some non driving Neanderthal idiot supreme will hit your rig. If you’re on route, you’re safe. If you are off route, you’re sunk.

“But Six, WHAT IF you don’t fit on the route? What happens then?”

There will be a message on the permit saying something about how, if you use this permit, you are to understand that there’s no guarantee that you will fit and you cannot hold the state DOT liable. In other words you roll at your risk. You better really know how to maneuver, to read and make split second decisions. Get your rest. The bigger the load, the more difficult the route. You’d better have the patience of an immortal before you accept that load.

4. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    [QUOTE="TripleSix, post: 8142361, member: 28058] There will be a message on the permit saying something about how, if you use this permit, you are to understand that there’s no guarantee that you will fit and you cannot hold the state DOT liable. In other words you roll at your risk. You better really know how to maneuver, to read and make split second decisions. Get your rest[/QUOTE]

In my very brief experience, this was always the craziest part to me.

Edit: Do NOT deviate from permitted route. Huge no no.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    In my very brief experience, this was always the craziest part to me.[/QUOTE]
    You are probably in that stage of your career where all the "ex-heavyhauler" ex-navyseal/greenberet ghostsquad greasy haired smelly fat Fup, try to argue with you something some other fake told them at a lunch counter. I myself just pick on the cute waitress.

stwik, sawmill, Nothereoften and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Anything without sides or a roof does it.

7. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
  8. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    Shotgun 94, just wondering why you asked the question regarding oversize loads. Are you looking to buy a trailer and pull oversize? Or just thinking about getting into the open deck niche?

I pull flatbed and haul oversize occasionally. Nothing really to it except planning your route and sticking to it and obeying each state's travel regulations. I don't pull my own permits as the company I am leased does it, but they consult with me on the desired route. Some states will require you to shut down 30 minutes prior to sunset, some 30 minutes after, others are 24/7 continuous.

The loads I pull on my flat are most often HVAC units, tires and docks. It would be nice to know a little more information and the reason you asked the question to give you a better reply.

9. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I rarely move a legal size load and with that, we use just about every type of open deck known to man. Today I'm pulling a stretch flat at 20' wide and 63' long. Last week I was pulling a special built stretch double drop (not an RGN) that closed is 49' and open is 70'. We move another 20 wide on special built steps then there's the RGN's, regular steps and regular flats.

If you want to specialize, then an RGN but if you don't already have some work lined up your going to find it as very tough row to hoe.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Shotgun94

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
  11. Shotgun94

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia

I'm pulling flatbed now. Very seldom do I get oversize. But i'm looking into a carrier that haulers more oversize and when I switch I am trying to be more prepared. I hauled a 12ft 2 inch flatsteel the other day and that was an eye opener. I want to know about moving up into that segment of trucking. Also to make more money!

Lepton1 and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.