overweight on a straight truck any ideas?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by bigredsterling, May 25, 2010.

1. bigredsterling

bigredsterling Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND
    i drive a 2000 sterling set back front axle 40' truck..13sp and 475hp C-15 and a Schwartz rollnback system. The truck only sees local use(200 mile radius or less) hauling const equipment. it is set up with lo pro 22.5 drives and a 385 tired tag..and 315/85/22.5 steers. weighed it today loaded the same as the former driver did and steers are at 17,700lbs:biggrin_25513:. way over the 13200 allowed here in nd. any idea? Companys super mad i refused loads because" the other drivers haul it" it has already cupped up the brand new steer tires in under 4000 miles. They suggested sliding the bed back a few feet to even the weight out... i think unsafe as can be! any input is appreciated!

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Is the tag in front of or behind the drive axle, and how much air are you running in it when down.

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Stretch the frame and slide the bed back as suggested! Or slide the bed back or Or load it further back on the bed with an over hang. Only 3 ways I can see to move the weight back!

5. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    You can't slide the bed back. It has to be all the way forward to be locked down. The bed will raise on the road if it isn't locked.

6. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Goes back to the question of how much pressure in the tag, and where is it located. A side picture of the truck would clear up what needs to be done to correct the problem.

If the tag is a steerable drop, it can be moved forward to remove weight off the steering when dropped.

7. bigredsterling

May 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND
    tag is steerable and in front of drives but the wet kit tank and batterys and tool box are in front of that so i cant really add another or move it foward. the truck is at max length. we tried several different pressures on the tag with the HP at the shop with his portable scales...same results ill post pic tonight

8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Is the truck even legal on total weight?

9. bigredsterling

May 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND
    yes but we cant get near it on steer axle. company wont budge onit at all. their solution was to make another guy in the company drive it because i wont run that overweight.

10. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC

I don't know about state roads, but here is the law on federal highways.

11. bigredsterling

May 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND
    i really wish i could get a pic online to show you but all the machines weight (24500-27000+lbs) is all centerd between the headache rack and directly between the tag and the front drive axle. this is all aerial lifts( straight booms). all the smaller booms and scissor lifts are fine weight wise. but they insist on hauling large booms too.Thats my main problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.