overweight on a straight truck any ideas?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by bigredsterling, May 25, 2010.

1. bigredsterling

bigredsterling Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND
    axle is rated at 13400 and tire load in nd is 550 per inch. that puts me at 13200 limit on steers. per the local HP and Truck regulatory office.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jron619

jron619 Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    That's why doing "favors" for dispatchers will f--k other drivers. The other driver will move ILLEGAL loads and the guys who don't will get screwed. I feel sorry for you. The other driver should be talked to by you and the other drivers. His kiss ### ways are forcing you into bad situations. Don't believe the hype some of these guys run about being there for their dispatch, never saying "NO" to them. Stick to your guns. If you can't scale it legal, it shouldn't be loaded.

4. bigredsterling

bigredsterling Bobtail Member

May 25, 2010
    Fargo,ND
    thanks guys. Im sticking to my guns on this one. It took a month to get a temp guage and jake brake fixed and another 2 to get new tires when 2 were on cords. Ya they are plenty slow on doing the right thing!I really appreciate the input that im in the right

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Yeah, Here's the absolute best thing to do. Load it, and tell the boss where to park it. Then find a real driving job. This company isn't worth the time or sweat there costing you. Run don't walk.

I guarentee you that when a problem arises like an accident or death, they will say " We told not to load that over legal". And sell you like a cheep suit.

kajidono Thanks this.
  6. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Are you sure the truck only has a 12K front axle? It is running oversize tires on front as if there was a 17 or 20k axle there. The specs whould be on the door jam as to each axle weight rating. If you have the big axle, the local cops may be wrong, and you will need to show the law the sticker with the rating.

7. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Still shouldn't destroy the tires in only 4000 miles.

8. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    First double post ever, yay! Stupid gateway timeout.

9. average joe

average joe Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Try turning the machine around so the heavy end is on the back. I also agree that with the big tires you probably have a 20 k front axel ,if the rating is not on the door sticker check the center of the axel ,should be a metal tag on it

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Try putting the weight on the drives instead the front. Anytime you increase the weight on the drives, the steers decrease.
    If you are hauling one boom favor the rear. If you are hauling two, put the lighter one in front. I assume you are chaining everything down?

11. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Makes sense unless the boom hangs so far off that you have to have it hanging off the rear or the machine won't fit on the bed. Pictures would help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.