Overweight tickets in WA state,can too many get me suspended?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Y2K, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    I've had 3 or 4 in the last 2 years, most recent on a dirt haul with a dump truck and pup. No scales available and none on the truck, got a $2400 ticket. The company we were working for is paying the ticket but it goes on my record so I'm not happy and worry about a CDL license suspension. I've heard that in WA if I get to many my CDL might be suspended but I have not heard from a reliable source if that is in fact true.
    I've Google searched and read threads here at TR but can't seem to find an answer as to if and how many it takes, can anyone shed some light on this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    At $2400 for a overweight ticket they going to name a pickle park after you. Can't see them pulling license on such a good customer

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    They must just love when you enter the scales!

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What I am finding is Wa does not have a drivers license point system.
    Under federal cvsa rules overweight fines also carry no psp and csa points.

What that means is you can get 100's of tickets for overweight and the worst that might happen is you get fired.

6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I think first thing I would worry about is finding a way to stop getting overweight tickets.

Balakov100 and hagarcobra Thank this.
  7. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Well I don't haul freight, I work for a small company that does a lot of land clearing and demolition work, also dirt and rock work, road construction, logging, sea port, landfill, scrap yard,lumber mill,steel mill, etc.etc. There aren't always scales available and once in a while there's no way around the DOT scales. I have a safety meeting this afternoon and I'm not the only driver that intends to complain about not having scales in good working order on the trucks and trailers.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  8. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    They love dump trucks and end dumps like we pull for sure,
    Yeah no doubt,I was pretty po'd about it. It was a fast moving job loading dump trucks by conveyor, red light green light stop and go. Big inner city construction job with a long line of trucks, we weren't allowed to get out and look and we were told they were loading light because of the scale just up the road on the way to the nearby dump site.
    They are paying the ticket but I'm still po'd,I didn't and won't go back to one of their jobs if a scale is not available and a DOT scale is in route.

I read a thread on this site where a driver said he go 30 days suspended for 4 overweights in one year here in WA but I found no other info.

9. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    This is a job out on logging roads I was on this week hauling wood chunks, no place to scale our loads between there and the pulp mill. We took back roads all day but one of the drivers got caught anyway by a state patrol with jump scales.They couldn't get us for bypassing the scale on the freeway because we took the shortest route.The road was so steep and slippery they had to drag us backwards up the hill with a chain. 023.JPG

truadvocate Thanks this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    When I worked for Wasted Management (uhhh... I mean Waste Management), I got no telling at the over weight tickets. I was so out done with being ridiculously over weight, I had two DOT officers phone numbers in my phone. Every time I went to a glass plant to pick up a certain can (roll-off), Id give one of them a call. WM would pay thousands in fines I am quite sure for each offence but they didnt care cause loosing a customer wasnt an option. They'd just pay the fine, loose the money & move on.
    I'd get several a year from "random roadside inspections". The Op's Mgr asked me how come I get so many tickets on this particular load. I said well, when I go down the road at 65 mph & that soda ash is blowing like flour in the wind, they know exactly what container I have & they know its gonna be over weight. That's just a good easy $1000 day for them. Why wouldn't they take it?
    About 8,000 lb of trash was my legal limit. This load would sometimes be 20,000 lb plus.

I cant speak for any other state but, Louisiana, I never got mine suspended over weight tickets.

Y2K Thanks this.
  11. K-D

K-D Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Roy Wa
    I stopped dump trucking in Washington years ago because of this crap so things may have changed.Back then if you got to many over weight tickets you would get a letter from the State Patrol and losing your CDL was a possibility.
    Pierce county had their own weight cop he would sit and watch job sites and if you didn't have your drop axle down when you pulled out of the job onto the county road he would write a ticket.
    Company's don't care it's a cost of doing business and if you lose your job because you lost your CDL or the insurance company tells the company to let you go because your a risk ( I know two people that happened to ) they just put someone else in the seat,.

Y2K Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.