Own Authority. Can cargo claims ruin your life net worth?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Jul 18, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    We all should know that no business structure; corporation or LLC, won't help you, if you are at fault in a bodily injury or death accident. They will take all from you and leave you pretty much naked. They cannot touch your retirement funds and trust funds. I think in Nevada they won't touch your homestead either, maybe there are a few more states like that. I wonder, if umbrella insurance could help here...
    - There is 1 million liability but they can sue for much more than that. Especially, if they sniff around and find out you have some more assets.

What about cargo claims?
    Could there be a a cargo claim, that could personally ruin you? A situation in which a cargo insurance denies it and they sue you for 250k or some crazy amount. What are the resolutions in that case. Is the corporate shield protecting your personal assets from judgments against your corp or llc?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Depending on your assets, an Umbrella policy can really be good. I would sit down and talk to a Certified Financial Planner about the personal side of things, or really one that can look at everything and help you keep things separate to give you the best protection.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.