Own authority required for tree clearing company hauling in-state?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by OzzyOKC, Jan 19, 2015.

1. OzzyOKC

OzzyOKC Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    Durant, OK
    Well, here goes...

Possible opportunity to start my own business with a 1ton truck and trailer. I'd be hauling trees off site to a location within the same state for a tree clearing company.

My question is would I have to get my own authority etc to do this? Or, if the gcw is under a certain amount, would I be exempt?

probably more questions to come, thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Call it . . .

" How much wood can a wood truck truck, if a wood truck could truck wood".

I know. I'm real helpful.

baha and insertnamehere Thank this.
  4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    You will still be held accountable to load weight limits. Trees are heavy...are not gonna be hauling a lot of stumps or logs with a one ton.
    A CDL would be unnecessary, but you will (at the very least) need to be bonded for insurance and/or contract purposes. Nobody will hire your service if you are not bonded...because they do not want to be held responsible if you are injured on their property.

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Hauling loads for profit, yes you need your own authority.

6. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Pending weight? He still may need a CDL A, check the FMCSA, it states, in short it says combination 26,001 ib or more or trailer weight of 10,000 ib or more, if his 1 ton truck and trailer falls under this, he will need a CDL A

7. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.
    This is out of the FMCSA book

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes you will need operating authority, but since you said you will be hauling within the same state, assuming you are talking about Oklahoma since that is where your profile says you are from, you will only need Oklahoma intrastate authority. Contact your state to apply, or there are several companies that will handle the application for you at a fee. As far as CDL, drug testing, and the rest that goes with being a motor carrier that all will depend on the vehicle you plan on using for your operation.

9. KET

KET Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I disagree. You will not need your own authority as long as once you cut down the trees, they become your property. Wood is also an exempt product. Its really a gray area. If the trees in your truck belong to the tree clearing company, yes you will.

If you are saying to the tree clearing company, "Hi IM John Doe, and I will get rid of your cleared trees and brush, and they then become your responsibility to dispose of, then no authority

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.