Own DOT #, still leased on under company authority?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by xairx, Oct 5, 2019.

1. xairx

xairx Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Hey guys I have a quick question... I'm about to lease on to a local company and they require me to have my own insurance and DOT number. I have the DOT number already, but I'm still shopping for insurance. The thing is I will be operating under their authority. My own DOT #, my own insurance, their drug testing plan, their elogs. Does this sound right? Is there any down sides to doing things this way for me? I'm currently leased on but I run under company authority without my own DOT # and I only have bobtail and phys damage.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    That doesn't sound like a lease, sounds like a partnership, make sure to read the contract. They are probably getting smart about the whole 1099 deal company's been doing. Make sure they're paying you a lot more than a lease.

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    What do you mean by pay your own insurance? You mean pay $1000000 liability and full cargo insurance?

If so, why would you give someone else a percentage and be limited to their loads?

Please clarify.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you are lease to a carrier, it is all their numbers, they have to cover cargo insurance and there has to be a contract.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.