owner/ oper want to be

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by readytoroll48, May 10, 2011.

1. readytoroll48

readytoroll48 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    nope im a mechanic by 23 yrs. test drove for 14 yrs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. readytoroll48

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    guess 23 yrs dont count then. and I use to be a mechanic 23 yrs fixing trucks. and going to get them when they ordered new ones.

4. readytoroll48

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    Already had school and graduated from it in jan of this year. and i was a repair mechanic 23 years. also picked up new units for the city i worked for.

5. readytoroll48

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    I was a service tech for 23 years and 9 months on heavy trucks. also picked up new units when they ordered them. I did graduate from a truck driver training school. It is the companys that are so picky about who they hire. cant make them hire me i can only apply and wait.

6. readytoroll48

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    companies are also picky when hiring period. drove for usa trucks in feb.

7. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....

Thats all well and good but you said in your o/p that you could only afford a 12to 20 year old truck, do you have the money for repairs on a truck that old?? Your much better off as a company driver for now, There's alot more to owning your own truck then running down the road lookin cool with your name on the door.....

And if your having that hard of a time getting a company to hire you there is more to your story...

8. readytoroll48

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    no theres not, these companies are picky. and if there was anything on my record, the school would not have trained me. I did graduated from the school also. these people check you out. while I was in school there were people kicked out of class.

9. readytoroll48

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    I was also a mechanic for 23 years fixing these things. so I do know what it takes to maintain one and the cost. being a mechanic for that long, I seen what starting drivers do to riggs.

10. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Here is what everyone is saying...

Being a mechanic doesn't necessarily qualify you to be an O/O. There is the driving and skills for that, but also a decent amount of Business sense. So unless you actually owned the garage you worked at - that time doesn't really count.

After the initial investment of the rig and all of the dam fees/permits/insurance (HIGH!) you should have a minimum of $20k in your maintenace fund. Even if you can repair most of the work on the rig - issues come up that you likely will need help on.

No one is really talking you out of this here - but offering some common sense. Many guys get into this w/o sufficient knowledge and fall flat on their a s s.
    One of the posters in this thread just dropped a valve in a very well maintained Cummins. He ended up dropping over $7k on this repair.
    Many guys could not handle/absorb that - and then what?

Failure cannot be an option....

Admin Thanks this.
  11. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Can you elaborate on why your not able to secure a company job?
    Companies are indeed picky - but only if you have something to pick at.
    :biggrin_2556:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.