owner/ oper want to be

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by readytoroll48, May 10, 2011.

1. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    OK...So you've been a mechanic for 23 years! What's your point?
    Do you know anything about the trucking business?

I seriously doubt it!

I like to eat food....But that doesn't qualify me to open my own restaraunt! I mean seriously...You test drove them? You brought them in when no driver was available?

You say you can only afford an old truck...Where are you gonna get the money to maintain/repair it?
    I know, You were a mechanic for 23 years! But who's gonna pay for the parts?

I recently broke down on the road in Colorado and the bill came to a little over $7,000 including towing, Can YOU afford that?
    Oh yeah, I forgot, You were a mechanic for 23 years!

The labor was only $1,500 of the bill, the rest was stuff that even you (Mechanic for 23 years) would have to shell out and that's assuming that you were carrying the tools required to do the repair yourself on the truck.

If the only knowledge that your bringing to the table is that you were a mechanic for 23 years and you don't have the money to take care of things that "come up" unexpectedly....You'd be better off driving a company truck for a few years to gain some insight as to what's required of a driver.

This is a highly competitive, tough business to make it in and if you're gonna do it, You have to know the ins and outs before you buy the truck and start the long uphill climb to making money!
    If you don't bring your "A game" to this business every day....It'll chew you up and spit you out in no time!

But of course, You already know that because....You were a mechanic for 23 years!:biggrin_25523:

sharpshooter and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I know your just trying to get some feedback here about your idea, but as one who is conteplating going into business for one self, do you know how much it will cost you per mile to go down the big hwy ?

it ok to use ball park figures now, i only ask this to see if your aware of your minimun "bep" break even point.'
    having not driving otr for any lenth of time, insurance choices are few and expensive.

you mentioned you drove for usa, why are you not their now ? rocky mount is good area for transport companies, who have you applied too ?

4. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    It is not that companies are just picky it is that they have things like regulations and insurance that they need to comply with. So as far as getting a job with a company that will train you - the school gave you a start on the basics - insurance is not as big an issue. But they are going to be looking at personal driving history, convistions, DUI's, health factors. They have to make sure that the person they are putting behind the wheel is safe.

Do not think your solution to not getting a job with a training company is going to be solved by becoming an O/O. Many of these companies that have the backing to help you WHEN you have a major breakdown have higher standards.

And don't even think about going independent. The only thing you know about this business is how a truck operates. So adding all the compliance and factoring companies and brokers and billing and collections and and and.

If you are having trouble getting hired by a company then there is more to your background than you are saying. If you come clean about what the companies are saying as to why they will not hire you then maybe we could provide some feedback that could send you in the correct direction.

5. readytoroll48

readytoroll48 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    If you think I have not added the cost of purchase and maintenace your crazy. thats been all considered. your just saying i have know idea. I use to charge you for repairs. i know what it cost. end of story.

6. blackw900

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

OK then....Good luck!

7. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    You need to take a step back and figure out why no one will hire you.

And BTW, you are the one posting you are broke, can only afford a truck that is going to be under $10k and you are looking at doing this because you can't get hired on as a company driver.

If you know what you are talking about and have all this figured out then you need to provide details that show that. At this point all we have to go on is that you are a broke newbie with something in your background that makes you less than desirable as a company driver and you have mechanical skills.

A lot of great people with great experince on this board. But haven't seen any that are mind readers yet.

8. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    My start up costs were over 7k. Bottom line you going to have some money. There is no way around it.

9. blackw900

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L

You're just sayin' that....'Cause it's true.

How can you say that? Just because it's the truth....It interferes with the OP's fantasy.

He only wants to hear from people that will tell him it's a great idea!

He's obviously got this all figured out....We all need to just shut up and let him show us how it's done!:biggrin_2559:

10. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ok, I have re-thought this.

You are the man. Anyone and everyone will take you regardless of equipment. Just make sure you hold out for a 10K, upfront signing bonus that will be forgiven in 90-days.

And don't forget to have company included a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. This is the norm these days.

And what ever you do, don't tell them all that stuff in your past. They are blowing smoke on the background checks to get you to come clean.

Happy Trucking

11. readytoroll48

readytoroll48 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2011
    Rocky Mount,nc
    already drove for a company, had to leave because of wife health. shes diabetic ok. i drove from ohio to south carolina to boston mass. ok got a log book to show it and trailers for that week. ive been on the road ok. drove the truck like i stole it. and as knowing the cost of operations, got that down pat to. i also had schooling in how to run a business. you know nothing about me but you bagger me. your talking to i been there and done that person ok. it cost alot to run an owner operator truck, so whats your point. yes i got the money to pay for repairs. and tow bills. just because i was a mechanic i dont know the cost. think again man. i was also an state inspection for trucks or cars. i know the business. because i worked for someone else does not mean i dont know what it cost, next subject please.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.