Owner Operator Hiring a Co-Driver

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DriveWA, Aug 18, 2018.

1. DriveWA

DriveWA Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Hi, I am an owner-operator and want to hire a co-driver to drive with me, so I can get more miles in. I have a few questions about the process for hiring someone to drive with me. I am a “for-hire” operator and not contracted/leased with any specific company.

1) What kind of coverage do I need for the co-driver?

2) What are my options for hiring a co-driver to drive with me? What different ways can I hire them to drive with me? I would like to do it the simplest way possible to avoid any extra paperwork.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Well I do know he/she will be considered an employee so your gonna have to get workers comp on him/her, and depending on your good relations with insurance your gonna have to put him/her on the insurance and they usually require 2 years experience. I've never heard of a simple way to get around hiring an employee unless you just put them on a 1099 or just straight cash. 1099 you can get around all that, but it's a risk for you with them in the truck with you.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are taking a serious risk. If I owned a 18 wheeler that I probably cherish a little bit more than just your standard MS Carriers pile of #### or whatever (No offense please...) it will be a personal barrier to me to trust just anyone to have at her with me in the bunk through the mountains at night in a storm. Or to take on the crossbronx during Rush knowing what occasionally happens there.

5. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Why don't you just go buy another truck, put a driver in it. Set some boundaries and pay them a good wage. Dont govern the truck at 65, no cameras, leave them alone unless they screw up and that driver will be with you for years. Do it the legal way and you make even more money than a co driver situation.

6. DriveWA

DriveWA Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Yeah, since they’re considered an employee I’ll have to have workman’s comp. insurance and truck insurance coverage. I won’t have to provide health insurance since it’s only one employee (under the Affordable Care Act).

Taking those two things into consideration, can I just pay them without withholding any money for their taxes?

@gdog I don’t have enough cash to purchase another truck at the moment.

7. Gdog66223

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Yea you can do 1099, but it may be hard to get a real good driver to sign on board with 1099 unless you offer good money, or unless they are just brainless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.