Owner-operator with rental truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PhoenixTJ, Sep 21, 2022.

1. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Any truck companies with a main terminal in your area? Check with them about part-time employment.

We probably have 15 "OTR/Regional" part-timers and another 20 local part-timers on staff. Some are snowbirds that drive here in the summer then head to TX, AZ, or FL for the winter, one is a school teacher that drives all of Jun-Aug every year, and even one who is a semi-retired former O/O who lives in a villa on the Adriatic Coast during the summer, then flies back to the US to drive from Oct-Apr. We have retired OTR guys who can't stay at home with their wives for too long of a time in one stretch who call us up, get in the truck we tell them to, and disappear on the road for 3-6 weeks before routing back here and going home again for a few months. Then there are those who cannot physically stay out for long periods of time and need to come back for extended stretches of medical appointments, etc.

Part-time doesn't come with benefits, but neither does being an O/O. With part-time work, however, you don't have the non-stop bills a truck brings, either.

PhoenixTJ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PhoenixTJ

PhoenixTJ Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Utah
    I live in the Salt Lake City metro area, so there are a few mega-carriers here. When I drove for Schneider, they had a part-time gig that was two weeks on, two weeks off, which is too structured for my situation. I figured that was typical. Guess I can look at some of these big companies. My biggest concern is that it would be slip seat, and I wouldn't know if the air quality in the truck was good enough for me until I was out on the road. Moldy trucks are just as bad as moldy buildings!

We get benefits from my wife's job so that's not an issue. I agree, a flexible part-time job would be much better than O/O for my situation!

4. drh72

drh72 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Northeast Minnesota
    I have an auto immune disease which also makes working very difficult during a flare. I was upfront with my company about it and they told me I could switch to part time, seasonal or leave of absence, which ever worked best for me.

PhoenixTJ Thanks this.
  5. PhoenixTJ

PhoenixTJ Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Utah
    TBH that's prob going to be my best option.

6. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    So my position at Schneider is actually part-time, even though I work full-time most weeks. I have a lot more flexibility though than 2on/2off. I just have to work a minimum of 5 days a month to stay on the payroll. Outside of that, I tell them what days I want to work and they put me in a truck. I just took a week and a half off for a vacation, no problem, I'll be back in the truck tomorrow. Slip seating is a downside though. If I'm off for more than a 34 then there's a possibility I get assigned a different truck when I come back. I'm fine with that though because the flexibility more than makes up for it. In any case, just wanted to say those types of jobs are out there. Keep looking around and you'll probably find something that works for you.

PhoenixTJ Thanks this.
  7. PhoenixTJ

PhoenixTJ Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Utah
    Where's your OC? SLC is pretty small so maybe that's why they only offered 2 on/2 off here.

8. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Wilmer/Dallas

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.