Owner Operators: Who is a good compamy in FL?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mogan2006, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Luzon

Luzon Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Con-Way Tuckload hires out of FL and is always looking for O/O. They have an age requirement on the trucks they'll accept. I think it's 5 years or newer. Call them to make sure. I had occasional trouble getting out of FL when I was with them but I was usually able to get out within a 24 hour period of becoming available. The thing I hated most was taking a short load to get me set up for a better load the next day and then sitting over night and empty less than 100 miles from home.

GL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    i run flat bed in florida and there's really no, and i mean NO, flatbed freight in central or southern florida. everything comes from northern florida down, or from northern florida north. so when ever i'm home i always have a dead head. but what i do and what works for me is i find something (anything) going to north florida, and drop. once in north florida it's pretty much gravy, grab a load and leave the state for a month, and towards the end of the month try to get as far away from florida as possible, and then at the end of the month get a load going back home (closest i can get is usually ft. pierce) and that load will pay really well (normally 2.50 for water main coming from Tx). and that's usually enough to pay my bills for the first half of the coming month, which means i can have a week off.. four on and one off, wife doesn't complain and i'm slowly building my reserve up. and when you're on your one week off, you dont have to sit at home, you can do alot of dead heading but in the end your average dollar/mile rate will be low, like almost .15 cents after fuel which means you made money, but was it worth it?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. fallinangel

fallinangel Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Branford Florida
    there are alot of companies hireing out of florida I have turned down 16 so far in the last two weeks true there is not alot of freight in florida but the hireing is still good.

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Good companies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    depends on how you define "good company" I guess, good means different things to different people..

SHC and 123456 Thank this.
  7. grumpy6371

grumpy6371 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2011
    North Port, Florida
    FYI

Greatwide Dedicated Logistics has lost it's contract with Wal Mart For all 3 of it's Florida D.C.s (Arcadia, Winter Haven, Macclenny) and it's Brundidge, Alabama location to Swift Trans.

SHC Thanks this.
  8. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I don't know much about Greatwide but I can't see Swift doing a better job, cheaper maybe but not better..

SHC Thanks this.
  9. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    How about the DC in Alachua?

EDIT: Sorry about the edit. There are flatbed loads coming out of Plant City. We picked up steel coils from there back when I was with Roehl (ugh). And there are cardboard bales loads coming from all over FL up to the paper mills in Fernandina and Jacksonville for Smurfitt. Anyone can get those, although they aren't great loads...just a couple of thoughts for the flatbedders.

10. grumpy6371

grumpy6371 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2011
    North Port, Florida
    The D.C. in Alachua is a Dollar General. Greatwide is running the terminal. Has 40 Owner Operators. They want you to live nearby.

11. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi Grumpy, here's the one I was talking about.

Wal-Mart Distribution Center #7035
    15900 NW US Hwy 441 (Temp)
    Alachua, FL 32615

There's 8 in Fl. I went to this one twice a long time ago. Once they let me in, once I had to sleep in an abandoned warehouse parking lot across the street because I was early and pushing my 14 hours.
    Some locals came into the parking lot at about 3 in the morning and started raising hell where I and about 4 other trucks were parked. Screw OTR. Maybe I guess I just don't appreciate the lure of the open road like the true OTR romantics out there!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.