P&D Rookie Advice (Post yours)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Oct 15, 2016.

1. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Had a commercial paper route like that. Couldn't understand why no one liked it. It was short, very few returns, mostly bulk hotel accounts, or stores that were closed. So mostly, drop and dash.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    One of our transit (line haul to all you LTL guys) drivers was telling me a few weeks ago our company hired a woman driver to work in the chain division there is to my knowledge one woman driver at GFS I don't know where she works if I had to guess I think she works up in New England and she's got to be in her late 40's early 50's to boot, and she is a broadline driver, however female drivers for delivery are few and far between, anyhow our chain operations hired a female driver and I guess they must have trained her or whatever and sent her on her way.

Anyhow the poor woman only lasted a day I guess. I don't know what run they had her on, but she didn't stay around very long. I don't know if it was more work then she wanted to do or she didn't like working at night I don't know what the case was, but she's gone now.

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hey Mike, what do you mean by broadline driver?

speedyk Thanks this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Ahh yes a chain driver is a driver who only does chain restaurants/chain accounts and is gone from the warehouse for days at a time and makes a lot of there deliveries at night.

Broadline is the other side of the food distribution world see with chains, chain restaurants have there own vendor agreements and really all the customized distributors do is warehouse the stuff and make the deliveries at the restaurant outlets.

Broadline is the general pool or stock pile that anyone can buy from. For instance Jenny's Diner cannot buy McDonald's French Fries from Golden State Foods, but Jenny's Diner can call up GFS and buy french fries from them out of the general stock pile and GFS offers a "broad line" of products and equipment for food service operations. So a broad line driver generally works during the day, works more local and doesn't really stay out for a night or two. So the trucks that are doing the schools, hospital's, ma's and pa's and places like that all your non-chain places and indepents are broad line trucks.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Great, thanks for the reply! I hadn't heard that term before. (But then I never worked food service.)

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Time for a Bump.

Winter is here, to stay, for the foreseeable future.
    SLOW DOWN.
    Nothing in the box is worth your life. Let it take a few minutes longer to get where you are going.
    Give the guy in front of you a little more room.
    Turn your lights on. Just because you can see, doesn't mean you can BE seen.
    Prepare for that two bit 4 wheeler who WILL pull out in front of you in order to SLOW YOU DOWN. They will do this.
    Remember to go prepared in case the truck breaks down. Or you find yourself otherwise immobilized and possibly waiting for the hook to show.

OH yeah.

SLOW DOWN

MACK E-6, Buckeye91 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If you run a hundred miles from the yard, turn around as soon as you see the first flake, or your 2-hour ride will likely more than double.

Mike2633 and misterG Thank this.
  9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    First night of the week for me. Been socked in with this blizzard for three days.

Bob Dobalina and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And, it's that time of year again.

If you don't share a truck and there is winter weather approaching, lay a piece of cardboard or plywood across your fifth wheel when you park. This will keep the snow and ice out of the jaws and prevent coupling problems.

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, good advice, but what do you do with that greasy piece of wood or cardboard, when you aren't covering the fifth wheel with it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.