PA Turnpike Rates Are Going Up Again

Discussion in 'Other News' started by mjd4277, Jul 19, 2017.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Someone needs to publish a picture of the current toll ticket as issued at the gate for the system at large, that article does not tell me anything other than a number which could apply to any toll gate.

Prices have always gone up. The cashless will be a negative change against people who will not migrate to transponders or technology. I like the transponders because the COMPANY has to pay the toll. not me. Ive paid cash for years fighting to get reimbursed each week which did or did not happen.

The cashless will also benefit the Pike system and employees, there is no longer in time a need to maintain counting locations where huge amounts of cash accumulate. It's a balancing act. Cash to me is freedom and going cashless is subject to controls imposed by any Government or Agency that cares to implement it.

One thing to me is clear, they will never stop the tolls on the pike. Theoratically it's paid off decades ago. But the cash inflow is just too good to let go.

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I wish I could raise my own rates every year and force my employers to "just deal with it".

That aside, I wonder if some enterprising attorney will bring a class action against ALL these cashless tolling because they never publish the toll rate and can change the rates without informing the driver.

In a sense it's a violation of the concept of knowingly entering a contract. One party is unaware of what the cost of driving on "road A" because they no longer put up signage to tell you what the rates are.

Well, it'd make for an interesting lawsuit anyway.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Their argument in court is the rates are published online and they inform drivers of last exit before tolling begins.

They're trying hard to get as many people as possible to a toll tag. Much cheaper than cash.

Also consider Best Pass additional discounts over ez-pass

Home - Bestpass

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    All the tollroads went cashless a few years ago in DFW. The people in charge said cash payers who had to merge with tolltag users were causing accidents. Literally, the cash payers were at a dead stop and the lane next to them, tag users, were going 70 mph.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    The MA Turnpike went cashless back in October last year but they posted signs after every gantry showing the toll rate using the EZPASS vs the pay by plate method. However, they just increased the pay by plate method recently (they add on a service charge if you pay by plate) to encourage people to get the EZPASS transponders.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

3 minutes with a screw driver?
    No toll.

:angel4:

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  9. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Gorilla tape creatively placed helps also. That's about what it's coming to these days too. Nobody wants to pay them and expects the operator to do it. Not I said the cat! It's not my #### that needs to be moved. I refuse to pay for someone else's expenses. Not only that but figuring out how much it will cost is a royal pain in the ###.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Cashless Mass Pike. What a concept.

If the PA Pike goes Cashless also... it will eliminate the one great weaknesses in the entire system. That of securing, collecting, counting cash in a secure location (Usually one of the highway salt yards...) and the banks that have to absorb the large amount of cash.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    It's a shame. That idiot we had for a Governor (Rendell) was the reason for all of this. It seems his buddies at Amtrak in Filthydelphia couldnt manage their checkbooks, and nearly went broke. They needed a bailout, the state didn't have the cash, so what do we do? Rob the Turnpike coffers. Make people who see no benefit from Amtrak foot the bill. The turnpike would be a great option for some trips that I run. But I refuse to pay an outrageous toll for a bumpy ride in between the never ending construction. So, I'm now running route 30 from Filthydelphia to Lancaster. The road is much nicer, and no tolls.

x1Heavy and JimmyWells Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.