Paccar MX13 mechanic error?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Cowboy2, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Cowboy2

Cowboy2 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Texas
    Good morning y’all. A lengthy thread. I have a 2023 W990 with an MX13. I had an A service performed and long story short they caused a 8.5 gallon oil loss while I was driving. Road service came and replaced the incorrect filter and the broken gasket was the cause. They found metal shavings in the oil. I had it flushed and replaced the another new filter. I took the truck to a Kenworth dealer. They pulled the pan and found the camshaft damaged. A lengthy repair since they have to pull the motor to do this. That took 10 days. The story I was told that while they were running it working on the injectors it threw a rod. I immediately asked if it was due to the camshaft needing replaced. They said no, it was an engine defect. 2 holes in the engine block. The engine only has 60,000 miles on it. My gut instinct is telling me it was the error of the mechanic. I do not believe they torqued it down correctly. They now also have to replace the head. They are supposed to have it completed on 4-7. This will be a month they have had the truck. I am still making the Truck payment, and now the rental truck. My question is do you think I should contact Paccar corporate asking for compensation? Have them investigate? Any suggestions or opinions from an experienced mechanic would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Did a Paccar dealer perform the service that caused the oil loss? Sound to me like that shop is responsible for engine replacement that is now needed. Were the main and connecting rod bearings inspected during the camshaft replacement? They should have been?

You will have the most leverage thru the dealer you purchased the truck from.

D.Tibbitt, Cowboy2 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  4. seamutt

seamutt Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2021
    Sounds to me like Kenworth is not going to contest this being their fault (in one way or another), and are going to make the fixes on warranty. But you are wondering if you can also collect compensatory damages from them? I really doubt it. You'll need to go over every bit of the fine print in your purchase contract, and I'll just bet that you'll find a clause that you signed excluding this. Also, I myself remember being forced to sign a form at purchase limiting any future disputes to "arbitration". So that probably won't help either.

Sorry for all the grief you're going through.

Cowboy2 Thanks this.
  5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Did they replace crankshaft or camshaft.. pulling pan seems like it was crankshaft? If so then rods exiting block could be their fault. Either way all damage started by it getting 8.5 gallons low I’m surprised it didn’t shut down sooner. PS be happy it blew up it really did save you long term grief .

Cowboy2 Thanks this.
  6. Cowboy2

Cowboy2 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Texas

7. Cowboy2

Cowboy2 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Texas
    No it was not the dealer that did the original damage. I assume the inspection was completed. The dealer is being very vague. They have a short block they are replacing the engine with and they also had to replace the head.

8. Cowboy2

Cowboy2 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Texas

9. Cowboy2

Cowboy2 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Texas
    Thank you. Yes I read the fine print and see where I have limited recourse. Thank you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.