Paccar MX13 power loss

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by STS1SS, Aug 7, 2019.

1. STS1SS

STS1SS Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2019
    A little history... we have an issue with a sticking wastegate piston. I'm not convinced its ONLY that. What happens is while driving at steady throttle, generally lower RPM, the wastegate pops open and stays there .It is sticking; we just tap it back towards closed and it pops closed. That's been happening for a few weeks.

The other day it started this: boost will fluctuate inexplicably... so we might be driving along loaded and suddenly the power drops. Notice the boost gauge shows a boost pressure loss, then increase at the same time.

I don't see why the wastegate would open under a condition where it isn't building boost pressure, so I'm thinking the issue might be boost pressure sensor.

Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The MX engine does not come equipped with a wastegated turbocharger. Confused as to what you are dealing with to say the least.

spsauerland, pushbroom and Rounded_nut Thank this.
  4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    I am guessing talking about BPV...

5. Agtrucker

Agtrucker Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Realize this is a little old, but have you had any luck with anything... dealing with a similar issue

6. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2020
    That gate opens if there's a blockage also or too much back pressure from say the dpf so maybe check that I've also heard of the bpv valve opening randomly when you have high back pressure also

7. ReinP

ReinP Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2023
    I am having the exact same problem on my MX13. What was the solution?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.