Paid training companies that train as solos NOT teams?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by beer30, Jan 29, 2023.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    2 grand for what? CDL training? OTR in a trainer's truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    hmmm...i wonder if they could keep a team truck moving. I know I've heard solo trucks just sit all the time.

4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    For the training to get your CDL. That does include one or two weeks with a trainer, which may or may not be OTR. I was in a hotel nearly every night when I was with a trainer. If you already have a CDL, but no experience, they do not charge for the additional training.

5. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Where do you stay during those things? How do you go get food?
    Also, what happens if you just don't pass the cdl test? How many attempts do they allow? What happens if you still can't pass?

6. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Yes! You'll be asked to pay upfront and then the instructors will have the proverbial "bug" up their you-know-what and if you don't like it, tough.

The OP is probably over-thinking this since he already drives class B. C'mon OP quit clutching at excuses please. You're going to be fine no matter what you choose.

7. cdubose

cdubose Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2022
    They don't necessarily charge two grand. If you go through their school to earn your CDL, you agree to stay employed with them for 9 months. If you leave before those 9 months are up, Schneider will want to collect $2080 from you. But if you stay the whole 9 months, you will owe nothing even if you leave after that time.

8. insipidtoast

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    So what have you learned, which are the top picks for companies that don't train as teams?

9. beer30

beer30 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2023
    Schneider seemed like the lesser of the many evils as it has the lowest cost for training and they have dedicated routes. Giving up the freedom driveaway provides for the same crap pay with any of these entry level companies is just not worth it for me personally. The deeper I dug the worse any and all the entry level companies look. Decided to get my hazmat to open up the option of delivering propane this fall. If I ever do decide to upgrade to class A I will either do the online course and rent a truck/trailer for the test or pay for schooling.

10. lost_sole

lost_sole Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2023
    That's great to hear.

Where to expect TEAM DRIVING even though you are supposed to receive training:

Western express
    CRST

Western leads can be the worst in the industry. There was 1 that wouldnt let her students even do a pretrip. "The truck just came out of the shop. It's fine. You're gonna roll when you get up without touching my truck."

11. ElSobrino

ElSobrino Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2022
    Melton truck lines (flatbed)
    You go out with a trainer but only you drive
    They also recently partnered with a school in Tulsa Oklahoma so they will put you through cdl school if you don’t currently have a class a license
    Although I believe you have to live in Oklahoma or Texas to be eligible for the school
    They will also buy out your contract if need be

insipidtoast Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.