Palmetto Training Inc. - North Charleston, SC & Santee, SC... Thumbs up

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DeadPhish, Jan 17, 2013.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    To anyone who is investigating obtaining your CDL in SC, this school is great. I just finished on 1/15. Passed the CDL Exam on the first try, and I felt extremely prepared. The instructors are very knowledgable, and quite comical, especially Jim (the R. Lee Ermy of driving instructors). The focus is on getting your CDL, however, one of the instructors allows you the opportunity to learn maneuvers on the range that are not part of the exam, such as off-set backing and parellel parking. Many students complained because it was not on the exam, it was a waste of time. I disagree. By learning those more complicated techniques, I learned to more effectively drive a truck. I can position a truck anywhere it will fit now, because I understand how to utilize the angles I can put on the truck and trailer more efficiently. The class size fluctuates from week to week, depending on how many are going to exam. They currently have 3 trucks in North Charleston, 2 for driving and OBS, and 1 for the on-site range. Class is Monday-Thursday 0600-1430. And it is their mission to help you find a good job when you finish.

I do have some complaints though- :biggrin_25516:

1) The Instructor to Student Ratio sucks. It can be hard to learn to alley dock when you have to wait for over an hour for a turn in the range truck. The school needs to limit the class size, or buy more trucks and hire more instructors.

2) Many of the students are receiving unemployment and are able to attend this school on the Workforce Investment Act, which is NOT my complaint. Nearly all of those students never make it to class before 0900, knowing that class starts at 0600. Out of 17 people, 3-4 show up on time everyday. I paid for my tuition out of my own pocket, yet I have to wait until people that my tax dollars paid for to show up to really begin the day so they don't miss out. :biggrin_25510: Too many are too comfortable not trying to take responsibility for themselves. I just wish the school demanded more from it's students to show up on time. And if class starts on time, without them, you never hear the end of it.

3) The welding school that is also at this facility is noisy as *%$@! That can really get to you when you're trying to practice your Pre-Trip Inspection. :biggrin_25526:

4) The facility is supposed to be "Smoke-Free". You even sign a form at the start that states- "I will not smoke indoors or on the campus of Palmetto Training." Yet SOOOOO many people smoke in the warehouse and on the grounds. My little pet-peeve though...:biggrin_2555:

All in all, it was an awesome experience. The instructors make it great. They are VERY dedicated. If you listen to them and follow their instructions, the first time, you will perform flawlessly.

I hope this helps anyone in the SC area.

~DeadPhish

Cargo87 and Chaps Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    thats some pretty big down sides. especially not starting on time. wait 3 hours for people who cant be bothered to show up on time? that shows quite a POOR ability on the part of the instructors. people not showing up on time should not be catered to, they should be ignored for a bit and if repeatedly late should be thrown out. i would never recommend a school that cant control its class time properly.

4. MUDSUN30

MUDSUN30 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Hickory
    What exam don't require an off set or parallel back????

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. Rocketman007

Rocketman007 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Florence,sc
    Tell Mr.James in Santee Richard said hello.

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    The South Carolina CDL Class A Exam does not require Off-set or Parallel. Bass-Ackwards SC places more emphasis on your ability to pre-trip a truck than actually driving one....

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    The problem with the folks that don't show on time- They are paid for by the Workforce Investment Act, a federal program. If the school were to oust those morons who decide to be late or not show, it would be in deep water with the feds. The instructors are awesome, and do everything in their power to assist and teach those who are serious. I did not see any poor ability in the instructors, they can't force a grown man or woman to get out of bed on time every day, that's not their job. They are instructors, not the intervention police.

8. Dariq843

Dariq843 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2013
    SC
    I'm currently attending this school. The major problem with this school is the class size. This school last from 6am to 4:30pm, and the majority of the time you're waiting to practice on the range, or going over your pre-trip inspection (which you can do at home). The instructors are good (there's only two), but a lot of time is wasted just sitting around.

9. Live4WVU

Live4WVU Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Eccles, WV
    Is it a 4 week class?

10. truckertravis84

truckertravis84 Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Charleston,SC
    Im currently at miller motte in north charleston. They have 5 trucks and 6 instructors. Im in the weekend class and we only have
    Myself and two other students. Their day and weekend class is from 8-6 nite class is from 6-10.

11. trackmastablue

trackmastablue Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    yo how was the school in the Chuck travis... Im thinkin of goin there and was wondering about how they treat you up there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.