PAM Transport sticking it to the solo company driver???

Discussion in 'PAM' started by RICO, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RICO

RICO Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2012
    New Orleans
    If you read my other post/thread you know I had my differences with my ex teammate, regardless I did my 6 months as my contract stated (even though we lived further than what the contract stated; living 70 miles when the contract stated 50). Now, I've been solo for almost 2 months now; the best week I had was the week I made a little bit over 2600 miles. There have been weeks where I was under 2000 and others where I was over 2000. Only been home twice in that time period, in case you were wondering. Was talking to my trainer and he was telling me that from what he heard from his ex trainees, other trainers and people he knew in tontitown; that PAM Transport wants to categorize their drivers and pay them according to their category and average. For instance, teams 4000, trainers 3000 and solos 2000 ... note that these are also the requirements for the weekly fuel bonus thing. The best thing about this industry is that the sky is the limit, you do all that you can to get the most out of your time; that's why we're out here, to make money. If I'm not making 500 to $600 out here after taxes it's not worth being away from my family! Also spoke with another driver up in Tontitown who did a whole year of teaming, and he told me that his DM told him that PAM didn't like it when contracted employees only did 6 months worth of teaming, that's why he stayed for a whole year. He said that PAM is trying to solely become a TEAM ONLY COMPANY. So I add two and two together and what I come up with is that it seems as if PAM is trying to starve me, a solo driver, out of their company because I chose not to continue teaming. If this is so, then AGAIN PAM is not holding their part of the bargain and this can be considered a breach of contract. I'm tired of layover pay, which is $40 - we all know that $40 a day is garbage, and can be making more than this in a McDonald's and that $40 worth of miles can be done in about three hours driving. I got bills to pay and mouths to feed!!! So FOR ALL YOU NEWBIES AND ROOKIES LOOKING TO COME OVER TO PAM TRANSPORT AND NOT DO A WHOLE YEAR OF TEAMING, YOU'RE BETTER OFF GOING TO WORK FOR MCDONALD'S THAN WORKING FOR PAM TRANSPORT!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Why don't you train? You'll only have to deal with the same person for a month and you'll get the miles you want. Spending to much time thinking about breach of contract this or that is just going to keep you in a bad mood. Life is to short to be pissed all the time. Good luck.

sevenmph and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  4. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I don't think they will be a team only company. However, I do think they will become a lot like USX, where solo drivers will feed teams by picking up loads and getting them into the team lanes. Remember CEO Cushman is team oriented.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  5. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

6. RICO

RICO Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2012
    New Orleans
    Why don't I train? Since it says that you are a 4Wheeler I'm going to assume that you're an exec from PAM trying to trick me into becoming a trainer just so I can exploit the newbies and continue this vicious circle. So sad that a company has reduced to take advantage of ppl this way. And don't lecture me on anger management bub, I've read your posts on Obama!

Well if they do that, what they'll do is just scare away all solo drivers ... Which they should be, STAY AWAY SOLO DRIVERS

IT'S A REALLY BAD THING!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

7. Rollin2003

Rollin2003 Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    WOW. And I only trained 105 students over a 10 year period. Guess I was really fooled by PAM.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  8. RICO

RICO Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2012
    New Orleans
    yupp. They got you real good.

Regardless though how in Sam Hill does anyone regard me as trainer material when I haven't been out here a year yet? I'm getting the hang of it myself! What the hay man! Their agenda is all messed up!!!

9. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    I was a little different. After training, I was solo for about 2 months. It seemed like I could never get two good trips in the same week. I'd get Laredo to Buffalo and then a short trip or two in the Midwest.

Training though was good money. But, most of my students weren't good at anything but interstate driving. I had one that simply didn't understand that right turns have to be taken wide. I prevented two accidents, but he still had one I couldn't stop.

I guess I'm lucky to live close to Irving. My current job is in a day cab making tips to the Buda yard and back every night. I get either 2150 or 2580 miles a week depending on whether I work Saturday or not. Less if GM is having a holiday. I'm told that GM sometimes closes down for as long as a month and I wouldn't be able to go that long without pay. However, I can always go back over the road.

I feel that is the real advantage to working for a large company like PAM. I've done team dedicated lanes that got me home weekly, I've done solo staying out for as long as five weeks, I've trained new drivers and now I'm in a day cab. There are so many options.

purpleangel7 and airforcetoo Thank this.
  10. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Yeah it's basically looking at.the.bright side of things, sure everyone would like to be making more money, everyone would like to be home more,but it is what it is ... Right now I'm stuck here in Tontitown dealing with maintenance and I can either get in a bad mood cause I'm earning $25 a day or I can just look to the.future, it's basically part of the job, there's good with the bad. Mind you I don't have experience in any other trucking company, but I like it here in PAM, don't know if I'll stay after my yr but for now it's home. 20 yrs from now I might look back and put on my PAM safe driver cap and jacket, smile and say "you know what it could've been a lot worse."

11. airforcetoo

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Yeah it's basically looking at.the.bright side of things, sure everyone would like to be making more money, everyone would like to be home more,but it is what it is ... Right now I'm stuck here in Tontitown dealing with maintenance and I can either get in a bad mood cause I'm earning $25 a day or I can just look to the.future, it's basically part of the job, there's good with the bad. Mind you I don't have experience in any other trucking company, but I like it here in PAM, don't know if I'll stay after my yr but for now it's home. 20 yrs from now I might look back and put on my PAM safe driver cap and jacket, smile and say ”you know what it could've been a lot worse.”

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.