Panhandlers at Truck Stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winkjr, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    They're trespassing, sucks they screwed up.

allniter Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bill104

Bill104 <b>Pepsiholic</b>

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    I really hate bums and beggers, so I never beg at truck stops, but if any pms me here I give you the info on my pre paid cerdit card so you can place money directly in my acct that way I won,t have to beg at truck stops, I just a few bucks to pay my bills

4. Largecarz

Largecarz Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Buffalo
    Well guys,i must be a sap.Or,a Christian,in disguise.I have never turned anyone away that has asked me for help.I am sure that many,perhaps most,of them,took advantage of my kindness.But for the few that were honestly in need of a couple dollars,or a bite of food,i am glad to have helped.For the ones who took advantage of me,shame on them.But for the truly desperate people that were turned away,when we could have helped,shame on us.

5. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Love your neighbor as yourself. You aren't in their situation, and it's not your place to cast judgement. I find myself struggling with this daily, but I'm getting better about it. I'd much rather just go inside and buy 'em some lunch though instead of handing them cash.

6. Bill104

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    I,d let you buy me a meal anytime, but it might get messy in the cerdit card reader, so for now just send cash,dang its fairly easy to ask for money here, I get imbaressed doing it in person.

7. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    I tend to help those that approach me. It rarely happens but I always think about what if the shoe was on the other foot. If someone get's over on me then so be it. I'll get my blessings and that is important.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Just say no to free fish.

9. IraqVetTX

IraqVetTX Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Can't remember Wisconsin
    I have offered the "hungry" ones to go inside and get them a meal...they have NEVER accepted that one, they only need cash.

I had a guy who said he wasn't gonna lie, he was broke and yada yada and just wanted a beer. I gave him a few dollars, he came back out with 2 tall boys and sat behide the truck parking and drank em. (he was sleeping in the bushes)

10. Bill104

Dec 27, 2011
    Sacramento,Ca
    I guess begging online doesn,t work, I guess I,ll gi back to my gubberment job and beg at the truck stop.

11. T-Lady

T-Lady Medium Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Wautoma, WI
    I must be a "bad" person, then. I won't hand out my hard earned money to a beggar. I consider it to be a personal rule of safety, though. If I don't show I have money, and I claim to be broke, who's to say different? But if I show I even have $20, then I've potentially got a target on my forehead.
    Yeah, so sorry, I'll point 'em down the line...my good deed was one day about 15 years back, picking up (into the back of my small, foreign pickup truck) a biker, bike and all. He had to sit on it to keep it in place, as I had no straps and the gate wouldn't close. We even passed one of his buddies that had a van as a chase vehicle, who took his sweet time showing up...That was local, and yeah, it could've got ugly, but I was young and trusting (see also: STUPID)...when I got him to the bar (bartender was his buddy, and yes it was during daylight hours), they offered to pay me for being so kind and raising their eyebrows...I said my "pay" would be for them to pay the kindness forward sometime, and left.
    That one turned out well for me, but I saw a guy broke down on the side of a road, helped, and it went fine...no more chances like that for me. :biggrin_25513:

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.