Paper back-up logs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mitmaks, Aug 16, 2018.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I was just told by my boss we're required to carry ELD back up paper logs in case ELD quits working. They're supposed to be different from regular paper logs.
    Anyone know of this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    NFW,, must of heard him wrong or meant a paper log book.

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Regular paper logs are what I carry, preprinted with all the company name and address just like they have always been

kylefitzy and Samuelh Thank this.
  5. Samuelh

Samuelh Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Our compliance officer just went through my documentation folder and put new log forms in it. Just 8 paper logs are all that's required

6. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I got pulled over in Iowa and I made sure to ask.
    He told me I had to keep a user manual for my eld
    And specially 8 days of paper logs Incase the eld goes bad.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    This is for ELD:
    8 days paper log. There are no special log books needed. JJKeller does print "ELD backup log books" but that's just marketing.
    User manual.
    Data transfer instructions.
    ELD failure instruction.

AOBR's have diffrent requirements.
    Enough log files to recreate the trip.
    Usage card.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    What pray tell are 8 blank log pages going to do for you after your log goes south?

9. Swiss Mountain Dog

Swiss Mountain Dog Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Texas
    CYA. My husband just had to do this a couple of weeks ago. The ELD fried itself and he had to use paper logs for two days til he could get to the company shop for a new unit. Had to have the ELD print out faxed to him for the days before the unit died to align with the temporary paper log. Just in case.

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I had a battery issue just this past Monday. Battery shorted or something, anyway, once Ryder replaced the batteries, I got back in the truck & ELD wouldn't fire up... I guess its fried. So, I brought out the old trusty paper logs that dont run electricity & been using it all week. They ordered me a new one & was supposed to come in today (Friday), but I dont know if it did. If not, I'll still be on paper come Monday.

If I aint wrong, I think the rule is that you can only run paper logs for 48 hrs before getting ELD repaired or replaced. I could be wrong but, whatever. If it aint right, I guess they can write us a ticket.
    Just FYI, I did save/keep the DVIR that Ryder & I filled out showing I had electrical issues & the ELD fried. That dont get me a new one in 2 days but at least I have the paperwork.

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Seems to me that a fella would only need 2 blank pages to comply with the 48 hrs. Being as though 8 are required, I would surmise the FMCSA logic, if you can call it that, is that the driver honestly and accurately go back in time 8 days and recreate all four lines with 15 minute accuracy. Good friggin luck

NEar as I can tell, The only practical way a single truck O/O can protect himself against ELog failure is to maintain two logs all the time.....Elog and paper backup so he always has 8 days of logs on hand for when it craps out. So much for the time saving argument.

The whole GD thing is a steaming pile of Horse manure.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.