Paper Log Question

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Volvo670ISX500, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Volvo670ISX500

Volvo670ISX500 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Chicago , il
    I am managing a few straight trucks at the moment that are under 26000 lbs and drivers are non cdl. We are a Interstate company since we operate in a few cities. We do local city work and rarely (twice a month) go up to 130 miles one way away from the office and do cross state lines in those 130 miles.

My question is, do we need to do paper logs since we would qualify for the short haul exemption? The drivers are employees and their time is being kept as regular 9-5 employees that punch in and punch out daily. Since they punch in and out, do they need to have paper logs with them?

Thank you

Trucker61016 and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You can go 150 miles on the local exemption. State lines have nothing to do with it.

Dieselboss and ibcalm19 Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Local needs a time card or a book like our poultry guys carry now. Time is to be recorded.

And they can use paper logs for the odd load that runs away from local and live haul, which doesn't happen all that much.

5. Volvo670ISX500

Jan 24, 2008
    Chicago , il

That makes sense. Thank you. We don't have paper punch cards or books. The drivers punch in and out on their phone and if needed can always pull up the hours on their phone. Does that count or would it have to be some kind of paper copy or book?

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    We use the books. Or rather, they do. I'm not sure what is required by enforcement. I'm thinking that they'd require more than what you're doing, but I haven't heard about it, yet.

I have to use a phone to interface with keep truckin, and it messes it up with no phone available, but it did keep track of drive time.

Volvo670ISX500 Thanks this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    8962F855-99C8-44E4-B479-1A3AD086B6E4.jpeg

Trucker61016 and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Here is the regs so you get it from the horses mouth.....
    Also not mentioned, the drivers cannot work longer than 16 hours and still be exempt. (Like if they do dock work after driving, or such.)
    (And no, you don't need it on paper, just recorded somewhere, like a database)

(e) Short-haul operations—(1) 150 air-mile radius driver. A driver is exempt from the requirements of §§395.8 and 395.11 if:
    (i) The driver operates within a 150 air-mile radius (172.6 statute miles) of the normal work reporting location;
    (ii) The driver, except a driver-salesperson, returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 14 consecutive hours;
    (iii)(A) A property-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver has at least 10 consecutive hours off-duty separating each 14 hours on-duty;
    (B) A passenger-carrying commercial motor vehicle driver has at least 8 consecutive hours off-duty separating each 14 hours on-duty; and
    (iv) The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing:
    (A) The time the driver reports for duty each day;
    (B) The total number of hours the driver is on-duty each day;
    (C) The time the driver is released from duty each day; and
    (D) The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with §395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.

(2) Operators of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles not requiring a commercial driver's license. Except as provided in this paragraph, a driver is exempt from the requirements of §§395.3(a)(2), 395.8, and 395.11 and ineligible to use the provisions of §395.1(e)(1), (g), and (o) if:

(i) The driver operates a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle for which a commercial driver's license is not required under part 383 of this subchapter;
    (ii) The driver operates within a 150 air-mile radius of the location where the driver reports to and is released from work, i.e., the normal work reporting location;
    (iii) The driver returns to the normal work reporting location at the end of each duty tour;
    (iv) The driver does not drive:
    (A) After the 14th hour after coming on duty on 5 days of any period of 7 consecutive days; and
    (B) After the 16th hour after coming on duty on 2 days of any period of 7 consecutive days;
    (v) The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing:
    (A) The time the driver reports for duty each day;
    (B) The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day;
    (C) The time the driver is released from duty each day;
    (D) The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with §395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.

Dieselboss and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  9. Volvo670ISX500

Jan 24, 2008
    Chicago , il
    This helps a lot. Thank you all very much

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Actually state lines have everything to do with it. Technically, if you don't cross state lines, you are only subject to the HOS of that particular state. Most states are 100% the same as federal, but both California and Texas have different regulations that apply to intrastate operations.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Since we are being technical, it's the load that cannot cross state lines, not just the driver.

Bean Jr. and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.