Paper Transport Orientation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MaunaLoa, Dec 3, 2021.

1. MaunaLoa

MaunaLoa Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2021
    ALOHA - So I wanted to give an overview of my first week with Paper Transport. The week prior to Thanksgiving I received all of my travel information. My recruiter, Driver Manager, and Travel Manager all reached out to me and touched base prior to the holiday. Its true they treat you like family here. I flew out of Tampa last Sunday on United and arrived in Green Bay that night. Upon arrival I had a rental car waiting, and a hotel room ready to go for the week. This is a first class organization, so accommodations were top notch. You don’t share a room, car, or anything else. From the start I was treated as a professional, by professionals, and not a number assigned to a truck.

MEALS: Breakfast at hotel, Lunch was ordered in every day (very good), dinner on own. I’m not much for fast food, so it was nice to find a super Walmart across the street. Picked up a rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes and some side items to make dinner in the room with the microwave. Plenty of spots to go eat if you are into that (you have a car).

PTI ORIENTATION: The headquarters is about a mile from the hotel. Nice facilities, and everything is there in the same building. First day was typical paperwork, get to know you stuff. Because of the holiday week we had the largest class they had done to date. Total of 16 recruits, although we had washed down to 12 by the end of the week. The class was very diversified with all ethnic backgrounds, and we had two women in our class. During the first day we picked up our tablets that we would do all our orientation modules through. These also had our logs in them. Lot of time spent on safety (love that), logs, and trip planning. All stuff you don’t get in school. First day driving evaluation, was fun – started to snow – from Hawaii, and Florida this was the first time I had experienced weather like this, COLD COLD COLD. The high here was 20/30 degrees colder that the lows in Florida. The rest of the week was pretty similar. We would meet as a group to go over items, then break into two groups – One would go out in the yard, the other stay inside (where it was warm) and work on modules. Then we would have lunch and flip positions. The classroom instructor, Paul, was engaging, entertaining, and a big packers fan. I’m not much into NFL (we did win a Super bowl in Tampa),so I found it funny when he beat up on other peoples teams. Yard work consisted of coupling and uncoupling trailers, 45’s with two actual trailers to go between (no cones- that was nerve racking at first), and an alley dock station. Since you don’t have the lagers that you have in school, the seat time is very good. Instructors Ross, and Brian did an awesome job. They would show you how to do it and get out of the way and let you do it. They could talk to you in the truck over the CB if you needed direction, but they wanted to see how you adjusted and figured things out. Equipment is Kenworth and Freightliner. I think I'm partial to the Freightliner 's turning radius, but I like the layout in the Kenworth. Both had nice heaters (hahaha)

When I talked to my recruiter before coming up here, she told me to pack for GB and expect to leave for road training from here. I spent a couple of days at Bass Pro Shop in Tampa getting clothes that were warm enough to use in the North. I can assure you I have had on more clothes this week than I have worn in the last 3 months combined(hahaha). I got my finishing trainer assignment on Wednesday morning, and I’m going to Georgia to train with my fleet in the South (soooo Happy). My original arrangements were to fly into Atlanta, but after talking to the Travel Manager she arranged my flight into Tampa. This will allows me to change out all these heavy clothes for some that are more appropriate for that area of the country. Also, I get to see momma, before driving up.

Sorry this was so long, but I’ve been reading this forum for a couple months, and knew I wanted to be thorough for all the guys like me that were still researching where to go. I did months of research on 20 companies, and narrowed it down to three before pulling the trigger. I am so happy with my decision. I will post another next week after I do some training with my driver mentor. WOW!! It just hit me that next week I will be driving live over the road! Now I’m nervous, and excited to knock the next goals off my list. Mahalo and stay safe out there!

Lonesome, Vic Firth, tscottme and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hottub

Hottub Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Awesome!!!....Looking forward to following your expereince with PTI...I could very well be following your footsteps in the spring. PTI is at the top of my list. Will you be on dedicated acct after training?

4. mmk trucking

mmk trucking Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Wait till the snow hits and the cold comes in good luck

5. MaunaLoa

MaunaLoa Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2021
    That would be awesome. This is a great organization. I’ll update next week after my first week in driver training. Let me know if you need any info. I’m going to run regional in AL GA FL SC NC TN

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. Hottub

Hottub Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2008
    OK...Does PTI reinburse for schooling?

7. MaunaLoa

MaunaLoa Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Hahaha. I’ll be out of here tomorrow and heading south. Has been to cold for me here, but I have to say I’m glad I’m not here next week. Buurrr

8. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    It snows in the south also. Worse yet, Atlanta is a major cluster when the roads start to ice up.

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Good luck at Paper Transport driver! That sounds like a really good company reading that first post

MaunaLoa Thanks this.
  10. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Good luck driver! It's nice to see another driver make a post that is exceedingly positive about their new company. There are plenty of complaints out there about how someone didn't like the new company they were going to or didn't like the hotel and nitpicking crap like that.

You do you and learn as much as you can and you will be just fine. Let us know how it goes!

11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    It snows in lots of places. Even Arizona. Ever been across the 1-40 thru Flagstaff. There is a reason they call it WINTER. I think winter lasts about 10 1/2 months up in Canada! Lol

MaunaLoa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.