Parked Regen Required everyday (2010 Freightliner Cascadia)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Easy_Money_Trucker, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Easy_Money_Trucker

Easy_Money_Trucker Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2019
    Eagan, MN
    Hello,
    Yes I have a '10 Cascadia with 821,000 miles. DD15 Engine. Back in December I had my DPF filter cleaned at a shop who has the machine. It worked well afterwards, but only for about two weeks..
    Now I'm back to the same problem.
    I took it to a Freightliner Dealer and they reset the ECM to see if that would work. But it didn't. I don't even idle much.
    I guess i have to replace the filter next.
    Price at Freightliner is $1,721 just for the part. Anyone else ever have this issue?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Can we get alittle more back ground? You have a ‘10, is it a late model with DEF, is it a one box?

Was it acting this way before the DPF cleaning?

When was the last time you had a aftertreatment issue, and what was it?

There’s a bunch of possibilities, but there’s not enough info. You cleaning shop may have dropped your DPF, they might not have blown out the DOC when it was apart., they may have messed up a temp sensor just enough, etc

Freightliner is going to get their money anyway they can. Whether their first parts suggestion will fix it or not.

4. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Check your EGR delta pressure sensor ports make sure they're not plugged. I would also perform a ISB test with Diagnostic Link to see if the injectors are overfueling or not 800,000 miles is pretty up there for a DD15 although i have seen 1,000,000 DD15 engines running clean. If you install new filters you might run into the same issue there is obviously something causing the truck to want to perform a regen everyday. Also, if you do a lot of local stop and go driving that could be another reason why you need to do a parked regen everyday because the temperatures aren't staying up to burn all that soot while you're driving on a highway under a load.

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  5. Easy_Money_Trucker

Feb 12, 2019
    Eagan, MN
    Hello guys.
    Sry about the delay in answering you.
    My truck is an early '10 model. So it does not use DEF.
    IT IS a one box.
    Freightliner said they spent several hours?
    Trying to figure it out.
    I did ask about if I could have overfueling injectors. The service foreman said no there was nothing wrong with them.
    He said he was not getting that indication from the diagnostic scan.

I will check out the EGR DELTA PRESSURE sensor next.
    Also have you seen many DD15 engines make it to over 1,000,000 miles?

Thanks for your help and advice guys.

6. Working2party

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    From what I can piece together, your truck started requesting a regen more often. You took it to a shop, they didn’t see any codes they could get to repeat. So they suggested a DPF cleaning. Things where fine for a couple weeks now it’s back to doing it. You’ve now taken it to Freightliner because the other shop didn’t know what’s wrong. Now they don’t either.
    It’s been a while since I worked on a epa 07,

So here’s my best guess.
    1: your DD15 with 800k miles is now burning enough oil the aftertreatment can’t handle it. But you should be able to tell by the amount of oil you add. I know the newer EPA10/GHG14 engines rarely burn more than a gallon in 24000 miles.

2. The EGR system isn’t functioning correctly... enough. Or rather not disfunctioning enough to throw a code. You’ll have to find a shop that has at least one guy that knows what to watch for.

3.Your aftertreatment system isn’t dis-Functioning enough to throw a code. If it where in my shop I would start with pressure sensors, then wire harness’, then temp sensors. (But I work with company money!!)

The’ve tested your injectors, if your not consuming engine oil, your truck doesn’t have any “fits” of low power or running rough, (that your telling us about). Start with the EGR, then look at aftertreatment sensors. Those EPA 07 engines where really to particular on wire connections/ harness conditions. I replaced complete wire harness on every 07-08 we had about every 200k.
    (Very rough miles)

Now you’ve got to get a shop convinced to really look into your issue, and not just load their parts cannon (with your money) and send you down the road.

7. Easy_Money_Trucker

Feb 12, 2019
    Eagan, MN
    ok! Thank you. Yes my truck does burn a little bit of oil. I change oil at 25-30k miles, but in between that time I may add two or three gallons of oil to keep it full.
    But I also have a leak on the cam housing. (Gasket)
    There is a bit of a Surge at idle.
    I have been told to bump it up using cruise control. But doesn't that waste more diesel...

Yes so far you seem to have outknowledged the whole group at a Freightliner Dealer who charged me 4 hrs labor and couldn't diagnose dick.

8. Easy_Money_Trucker

Feb 12, 2019
    Eagan, MN
    I do run OTR, Pretty wide open a good deal of the time, so I was sad that it never seems to do a passive Regen? While at high temps and speeds? But still makes me park.

9. Easy_Money_Trucker

Feb 12, 2019
    Eagan, MN
    After that day they hand me keys back to my truck and I get down the road, and Regen light comes on after 40 miles, I really lost confidence in those 'technicians'. I guess they are going to chase the problem with parts just as easily I could, with no better insight.
    eh?

10. Working2party

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Idle up on engines with after treatment is a good and needed thing. When diesels idle they don’t burn the fuel to “epa standards” so the engine returns the exhaust and re-burns it (EGR / Exhaust Gas Recirculation). By idling up it burns cleaner and reduces this. The cents in fuel it cost doesn’t out way the thousands in an overhaul bill. If your idling at 600 then you could be overworking the egr and causing your some of aftertreatment issues.

On the newer DD15’s when they surge at Idle it’s usually a Fuel Quantity Control Valve. This also doesn’t help with exhaust gases produced. (But it’s a $500 for just that part, it might help, but I don’t think know it will cure it.

I feel The oil consumption is high, but I’ve seen worse with no issues, What I’ve seen was driver related and I haven’t proved how he’s doing it yet. But it’s followed him through 3 trucks... anyway. I don’t know how much blowby is allowed, but it might be time to get it tested. I don’t want to suggest getting the lower cam housing resealed if it needs an overhaul. But if you reseal it the overhead will be run, and you can confirm the where the oil is going. Burnt oil (along with antifreeze or any other not fuel chemical) in the after treatment is a bad thing.
    But again, if it’s not burning oil, the cam housing and overhead aren’t going to fix your regen issue.

Unfortunately your truck is “broke just enough” you’ve got to get into the hands of a good epa 07 Mechanic. I wish I could tell you where to find one, but give a area in the country and ask on This forum and someone will have a suggestion of a good guy they found.

11. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    First guess is that it isn't making enough temperature to complete a regen while driving. Buy a ScanGuage, follow the instruction on how to setup a user defined value (what they call an X-Guage) for DPF outlet temperature, then monitor the temperature during a regen while driving, and monitor it while doing a parked regen .Then compare. Also, you can view active codes using the ScanGuage. It should be doing a regen about every 300 miles. If driving regens are failing I expect there to be a code.

FYI the most common cause of driving regen fails, followed by parked regen success is a dirty doser nozzle. But that should throw a code and turn on the CEL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.