Parking in truck stops

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Penumbra, Nov 16, 2019.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I actually prefer some of the stops that have the angled blind side spots. Most have more room to set up and I find them eaiser to back into than doing a site side back into a spot at one of those super tight pilots

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Don't nose into spots in the middle of isles that are not pull through spots. But yes, if you are in a rest area and you are looking to pull in, I usually drive just a little bit past it, up against the curb as far as I can manage and then swing in.

I usually have the benefit of having my tandems all the way forward right now so I slide in nicely. Go nice and slow drive just a little past it then swing it in, look to your tandems as you pull in.

If some a-hole parked along the curb you might not be able to get it in.

Take a few seconds to look at where you pull your breaks. Does the fellow parked along side you have enough room to pull out? If not, back it up a bit. Make it easy for the guy next to you to leave so he doesn't hit you in the morning or have to knock on the door and tell you to move your whitey tighties back so he can start his day. I usually get out and walk my truck front and back just to make sure I got it centered as well as I can both ways.

Tx Countryboy and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    I just checked website: still mostly free; just started pay spots... only 15 so far

5. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    My god, there's a Petro in Grapevine, CA that's set up EXACTLY like that. 415 spaces, though, and almost never completely full. I usually just head to the back of the lot and find a pull through... it's been worth all that goal the few times I was forced to blindside in, though

6. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
  7. reverendhandy

reverendhandy Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Modesto, CA
    First rule of backing, whether standard or blind side, is set up.
    It's a new skill that has to be learned.
    Most would rather not have to blind side, but if you do.
    1. Practice, practice, practice. Any chance you get to get into an empty parking lot, practice, and learn the proper way to set up.
    2. Take your time and get out of your truck often and look.
    3. If you have automatic mirrors, learn tho use them.
    4. Most importantly, take your time. Never be in a hurry, regardless of how you are baking up.
    I am proficient at blindside backing, only because I have to do it a lot.
    I do heavy haul, and a lot of the job sites I deliver to, blindside is the only way to get in. Now combine the complexity of blindside backing with a load that's anywhere from 9-16 foot wide. But it took a lot of practice. A lot of trial and error, and trust me, quite a few near misses.
    So like I said, practice, get out and look, and take your time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.