Parking Lot Incident on 1099

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WheelSpin, Mar 30, 2023.

1. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    "The OP can be sued, there is no doubt about that, his liabilities are extended because he lacks a contract that protects him."
    Not true, he is in fact an employee. The criteria/relationship are what determines contractor or employee status. As someone else stated anyone can sue for anything but in this case he would not be liable as an employee. I have had contracts (not as a driver) that stated all kinds of things between myself and a company and that I was 1099. Based on the criteria it was determined I was an employee. And I received unemployment, pay and damages for overtime that I did not receive when being paid 1099.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'm not a lawyer, but my figuring is this:

Regardless of whether you're 1099 or W-2, you were the operator in charge of the vehicle that rolled back and damaged the other vehicle so I see no reason why they couldn't sue you if they were so inclined.

ZVar and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    I see your point. Let's say a driver was an employee of Swift and the truck rolled and caused damage. The company pays, no liability for an employee, company is the one that carries the insurance. Even if the Swift driver were sued it is the company insurance that would take care of any property or personal injury. OP is in fact an employee, not his truck or his insurance. Someone could try to sue him but that would be useless, they could not collect anything from him, same as they could not if he were a Swift driver.

5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Sounds like a guy who wants out of his responsibility.. A former co worker lost a mirror two times the second time it happened he snagged the keys and refused to give them back until he collected some money . The first fly by night Canadian outfit never paid a penny he wasn’t getting burned again by the second one.. his only option was small claims court which is useless.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    He lacks the contract, he has to be determined by the court or an administrative review from a complaint to be deemed an employee. The problem for the OP is he is on the hook under the law about independent contractor liabilities. He doesn't have the protections of an employee and without a contract that doesn't define the liabilities, then he is exposed to them.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    They totally can come after the company civilly, but what is going to happen to you is that your company is going to get some money out of you. You're going to pay the deductible for those damages since you're on a 1099. Also, I doubt it will go on your DAC, but it's a possibility you'll get points on your license, as this to me is more like an incident as opposed to an accident, at least in my mind. Be prepared for all of this to happen.

WheelSpin Thanks this.
  8. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    It sounds like in order to be classified as an employee I'd have to go to the courts with a complaint/report of misclassification, the court then determines whether my claim is legitimate. But since an employment hasn't been stipulated in writing, the default would be a contractor status. (?)

9. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    It'd be fair to pay for deductible/damages. But is there anything that can be done to avoid points? This was on private property and no citation was issued. Can the company I'm with right now do anything to ensure no MVR damage since they would be incented to keep their driver's (my) record clean?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    bryan21384 Thanks this.
  10. WheelSpin

WheelSpin Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2023
    I just reviewed their Driver Pulse stack. It's just the standard background check and online signature consent forms. DP is a very common driver job application platform and I don't think it makes sense to have a contract on there. For some reason I'm thinking it would have to be handled separately from DriverPulse

11. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    You can report to your State Dept of Labor, they will make a determination. Court or attorney is not necessary. Employment does not have to be stipulated in writing. The criteria determines a worker's status. You should not have to pay a deductible or anything.

WheelSpin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.