Parking the truck at home??

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by rumbarrel, Apr 13, 2008.

1. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Where do you want us to park?

Anyway, this is all why i'm soon to be an EX trucker. I now own everything i need to run my own business...EXCEPT customers! :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Not a matter of where I want you to park Phroziac; just pointing out a few realities. Everything we do with these things has consequences and we (especially the newbies and wannabes among us) need to think hard about that.

There are still leeches out there (lawyers among em) who see us as a big bag of money that they have a right to dip into. Just like the insurance companys. Ever wonder why so many of them hang out at truckstops with their
    car out of gas, wife and kiddies starving stories (amazing how many folks run out of gas at a truckstop). Because they think we're rolling in money.

4. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Well I will be bringing the tractor home this Saturday..until Monday. My neighbors seem ok with this (they dont care) and as long as the PD doesnt wander in and cite me, I should be ok..but from what I can tell 2 things are against me:

1. Sign entering my residential area "Weight limit 3 tons"
    2. City ordinance "No overnight parking of 12,000lbs or more"

..but it will be in my drive up near my garage...

:biggrin_25521:

5. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    We have some designated streets in the city w/weight limits but not ours and no signage with no over night parking. Still like that idea of checking out the storage facilities-at least they are suppose to be secure. Last thing a driver would want is to go to find out the rig was broken into. Hubby had his trailer taken a few weeks back in one the companie's off shoot company ''secure'' drop lots -the response he got was '' it was empty and we are low are trailers so someone took it.'' He now locks his trailer when he drops it.....

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    "IF you build it, they will come!" At least that is what is hoped, but don't take it as a be all - end all business plan.:biggrin_25513: What are you looking at going into?

Good luck. The town that I live in has an ordinance against truck parking for more than one hour in residential neighborhoods. I stopped by the house for lunch one day.

Some nosy old S. O. B. called the cops on me for "illegal parking." The officer arrived just as I was leaving, and I explained that I had been there for less than a half hour. He was cool with that, as it was perfectly legal.

But this nosy old S. O. B. was NOT cool with it and called my company to complain. Our safety office basically told him the same thing the police had, it is legal to park for an hour, so "go get a life."

This guy is NOT one of my neighbors, he is a retired old fool who has nothing better to do than driver around town sticking his nose in other people's business. He was also the prime mover in getting the local ordinance prohibiting overnight parking of big rigs.

7. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Haha thats why i dont park at a yard

I am now a self employed window washer. As i said, no customers yet, but i now have all of the equipment I need at a basic level (one squeegee, extra rubber one scrubber, one scraper, big pack of scraper blades, two buckets, one case of paper towels, big bottle of dish soap, one aluminum 20' extension ladder with stabilizer, one 6' fiberglass a-frame ladder). Ladders were on SALE! It is not a be all - end all business plan. I still have a dream of owning my own truck. I would also like to power wash houses and driveways, etc (and will buy the brushes to do large cars as well), and that is a common addition to this type of business. It is not the most entertaining thing in the world, but i want to use it as a stepping stone into self employment, doing what i want when i want, and bigger better businesses.

I'll be targeting rich people's houses, and there is no shortage of them around here. Multi million dollar houses, etc. And low-rise office buildings. No high-rises, hell, we only have one high rise in the area.

hell, I live in a residential area in a village. Our residential streets are very narrow, no paved shoulder, and people often park in the street...in the MIDDLE of the street. I cant park my truck at home because we dont have enough room on the lawn (trust me, if i owned the house, I'd park the tractor there.....but my step dad isnt exactly going to let me pave the lawn.). And you would barely be able to make the corners with a bobtail, so a trailer is out of the question, as is turning a tractor around.

Mind you, these are very low traffic streets that are esentially only used by people who live on them. To be perfectly honest, where I live right now looks just like the good parts of Queens, NYC... *EXACTLY* like. LOL.

This whole parking IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET bugs me, but it doesnt hurt anyone, so i dont complain. I park on the street a lot because we have a lot of vehicles, but I park my car on the lawn with the drivers side tires on the street....

I used to live on a straight road, and both intersecting roads were truckroutes. The house across the street from me was not occupied. The turns into it were pretty tight but i made sure not to even touch a curb. I would come home for a few minutes to an hour sometimes and just park in the middle of the street right in front of that house. Never had any trouble.

Hell, the road i live on is definitely not going to fit my tractor-trailer. But its right off the main drag right by downtown, and that's not a restricted route but not really a sensical road to be on unless making a local delivery. There's a truck route that intersects with it right in the right place, none of this is very far out of route from the freeway. Well, one day i forgot my GPS but it was late at night. About 11pm, i parked pretty much in the middle of the street on the main drag, about 1/2 mile from downtown, and walked home and got my gps out of my car. Now, this road has a paved shoulder but not very wide, so i got as far off the road as i could, and hit my 4 ways, i was only there 10 minutes. I knew I was pushing my luck by doing something like that, but the police have never given me an issue with anything (of course, i always upshift my crotch rocket when i see them..hahaha). As i was getting back in the truck, a cop drives past, and just keeps on going, doesnt even care. Honestly, probably figured i got lost.. :)

I really like how relaxed this village is, even though its a really rich area. I'd like to continue living here. :)

Your friend sounds like a dick. I hate people like that.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I used to live in Sun City, Ca. The county ordinance said "No truck parking in residential areas". which meant on the streets. So, I parked in the driveway. Then the community ordinance said " No trailers or RV's in the driveway" but nothing about Class 8 trucks. They were having a tizzy fit with my Freightshaker in the driver, WEEKLY, and the guy complaining the most was a retired trucker!

9. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest

I dont know the specific ordinance..could be written like that.
    I live on a dead end street - sorta.
    The street ends at my house and then becomes a dirt service road.

I guess we see what happens - but it will be IN my driveway..not in the street or anything.

A trucker used to live across from me but when our taxes zoomed, he took off in the middle of the night and left the house to the bank. I dont think anyone ever hassled him when he brought the tractor home for the weekend - but I never talked much with him either..

Real nut job. :biggrin_2556:

PS. Let them call the company to complain. My number is right on the truck! :biggrin_25523:

10. HFC

HFC Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Has anyone approached their local Congressman about the problems that drivers are having with finding parking when off duty?

It is an election year (2010) and it may be a way to get their attention.

If you don't know who your representative is, there is a way to find out through the US House of Representatives website. I am not allowed to post links but ...

Go to Goggle

type in ...

"US House of Representatives and Write Your Representative"

You should get a page that allows to plug in your state and then your plus four zip code that will give you your Congressman.

(I just tested my advice and it works!)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  11. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Not only do I park in my driveway but I service it and wash it there too and I live in town !!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.