Part-Time Hotshotting. Give it to me straight...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by jm3686, Oct 3, 2017.

1. jm3686

jm3686 Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Hey all,

First off a little background. I'm 27 and absolutely drowning in student loan debt. I have a great job in the tech industry that pays well, but unfortunately that isn't enough. If I'm ever going to get ahead in life and get out of the hole I'm in, I have to work twice (if not three times as hard). I want a family and am prepared to do all I can to make that happen sooner than later. I have multiple side-hustles at the moment, but I'm mostly just sick of dealing with other people (I do enough of that at my 9-5). I want to be my own boss, and do things on my own time.

I have a passion for trucks, and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. That's what sets me aside from all the other entitled millennials these days. I was drawn to hotshotting for a few reasons:

1) I love trucks and will drive one anyway (don't have one capable of hotshotting yet, though).
    2) I'm in a position with my "9-5" that will allow me to do this in a part-time capacity without issue (can work remotely, 30+ days vacation time).
    3) I'm very business savvy, experienced and have good knowledge of how to run a successful business.
    4) I'm not doing this as my primary source of income, so slow periods won't affect my life financially in a dire matter.

So shoot it to me straight, is a part-time hotshotting business something realistic, or am I setting myself up for failure? Like I said, this is supplemental income. Ultimately I can see myself doing 2-4 hauls a month. If I could pull in about $1-2k a month profit, I'd consider that a win. I would likely be purchasing my equipment as outright as I can, and financing very little (probably pay cash for the trailer and at least 1/2 of the truck). I'd also be using my truck as daily transportation (~10mi commute to the office, not a problem), so the payment is justified more.

Just looking for some real opinions from some real people. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Ok, if you're business savvy, etc., run the numbers yourself, and see.
    Figure out your expenses, truck/trailer payments, insurance, maintenance, license costs, etc. etc., then estimate your possible income.
    I think it will be difficult to even make your monthly payments, let alone a profit.

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I'd stay where you're at. This is no part time gig and you'll have to pay for your own healthcare.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  5. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    You might be part time but your insurance isn't and it won't be cheap for new numbers. You have no equipment so that's more debt and it'll be a long time before you hit a break even point, if you ever do, where you've made enough money to cover the debt you had to acquire to make money in the first place. Doesn't sound very business savvy to me.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    There are people I know who do this semi part time. Retired military having a income doing this part time. I myself do 3 to 5 short runs a week. Of course myself and others own their equipment have grown kids, own my house. I also have customers. My insurance is very low. The guys posting on this thread are giving you the straight scoop. It has to be a unique situation to be able to do this part time.

strollinruss Thanks this.
  7. Iceman5706

Iceman5706 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I also am interested in trying to start hauling campers or trailers in evenings or weekends. I also have a 9-5 that is my main gig just looking to make extra cash if possible.

8. Ragman54

Ragman54 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2016
    S.E. Michigan
    Why is it whatever trucking forum website I'm on, there is always those that think this can be done part time?

9. halfassdriver

halfassdriver Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    You can. I have driven part time all of the 20 yrs I have had my CDL.

10. halfassdriver

Aug 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    As a matter of fact other than my 2 weeks, which I took from my full time gig as vacation, I have never driven more than a week at a time. I have almost 800,000 accident free miles in that time.

11. halfassdriver

Aug 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    2 weeks training ^^^^^

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.