Part-time or 3/4 trucking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Northeasterner, Aug 23, 2020.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ask your tax person how much more you pocket after 50k. And then ask yourself if it's worth it for the work?

You might be able to work a few months less for the same as a few months more...

What is the most bang for the buck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Anything like this in Idaho Falls area?
    A friend is looking for something like this.
    Has it worked out for anyone on here?

4. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Sound similar to my situation besides not having large expenses (have a mortgage & expenses), I'm married & been at the company for 20 years planning on getting out next year if things go right. The micro management can get on anyone's nerves after the first year. I dont even know how I made it this long? There's a lot of opportunities out there still so you'll be better off.

Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one who's tired of the b.s. & have been hesitant because of moving issues next year & family etc. Comfort has always been my dilemma towards making a brake. But currently looking at companies out in my area for Otr as a O/O, type of truck to lease purchase through my bank (Frieghtliner or KW), running van or refer etc.. I'm setting up my business plan as I type this.. I'm just grateful to have read that others also are tired of the disrespect some of this large corporate courier company management display towards drivers. Especially with belligerence showcasing their ignorance on understanding trucking it self.

rachi Thanks this.
  5. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tough to say since I put like 30% into the 401k, so folks get confused when I talk about income because my take home is artificially low.

had a bad exp. at F.W. Webb today, jerk in the office wouldn't open the glass window so I could talk to him, said thru it "if I can hear you that's good enough you don't need to hear me". I told him that wasn't gonna work, he told me to leave, I made sure to file it so that his insurance claim will likely be denied for the damaged freight ;)

reminds me why I left OTR... when you're LTL, you can just not deliver it. you have more leverage w/ desperate customers.

86scotty and bzinger Thank this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It was about taxes.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    My nephew hauls mail on the weekends. Day cab job.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  8. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    About the temporary jobs or leasing jobs:

Many of them pay you on a 1099 and you have no benefits and it will cost you more in taxes.

They always take on more drivers than they need. They're much more content to have drivers sit at home then have customers call them and they can't move the freight.

There are sometimes with them that you will be very busy and sometimes with them that they will have absolutely zero work none whatsoever zero. Like through the winter.

I think that if you do part-time mail routes you can make good money and I'm not sure if you can get on their insurance but if not I think they pay you that insurance fee back into your check.

9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Tax brackets changed.

10% for 0-$9,700.
    12% for $9,701-$39,475.
    22% for $39,476-87,200.

And you don't just hit a certain number and switch tax brackets. You pay 10% for your first $9,700, 12% for the money you make between $9,701-39,475...and so on.

10. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    They need to just do a flat Tax. Zero deductions. I know a guy making around $250,000 a year only paying around 8%. He says he can get it lower but he doesn't want to worry about an audit. With tax loopholes and hiring a tax firm to deal with it you can legally get out of alot of taxes.

11. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    How much do Trillium and Pro Drivers pay?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.