Part time training

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by dudeabides, Apr 23, 2008.

1. dudeabides

dudeabides Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I am having extreme difficulty finding a CDL training program that tailors to people who have full time jobs. I reside in the Kansas City area, and there must be an absolute dearth of driving schools in this region. I have found two options:

1) Fort Scott Community College - Kansas City Campus; Cost of the program is about $2500 and takes six weeks to complete. There classes are from 9-5 on weekdays, which is of no help to someone who works for a living.

2) American Truck Training - Kansas City Campus; Cost of the program is about $6000 and takes three weeks to complete. They seem to be more accomodating to a working schedule.

Does anyone have any advice on how to obtain a CDL part-time, after working hours?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I'd be wary of that one for $6000 and done in three weeks. I don't think that it can realistically be done.. unless they focus on one aspect over another. Say, they expect you to do the book learning on your own while they focus on in-cab.

I just finished schooling... it took 4 weeks; two of which were classroom only. The other two weeks were 8-hour days in the cab. Including weekends. To be honest, I'd have preferred to extend the school a week or two, just for more time in the cab. I know I'm woefully in need of more time... so I just can't see how it could be crammed into (call it) 4 hours a night for three weeks. Maybe they expect you to get your permit on your own.. that might work. But then, 6 grand sounds steep. Very steep.

Check their accreditation, check their reputation among local trucking companies. Check with the local unemployment office (particularly those who administer WIA) for standings.

Call trucking companies in the area. Ask if they can recommend a school.

It won't do you any good to get a CDL through a school if their reputation is such that you end up either unemployable or trapped in some lake-bottom job that you hate. Sure, you might start there anyway, but why make it easy?

I was going to recommend the school I attended, but it looks as though their closest campus to you is in Denver. Pretty tough commute.

Check the other community colleges - and talk to Fort Scott. It's been my experience they (as a group) are more willing to bend their schedule around to suit real people. Even if they don't do it this semester, they may be able to set up an evening schedule NEXT semester. You never know.

Best of luck!

4. wb75

wb75 Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Kansas
    I do gotta say dudeabides im in the same boat as you..Want to get CDL but cant quit job to go to school..And not to sure I want to quit my job and go to one of the crappy Trucking companies and take a chance of toughing it out for 8 months to a year to fill the contract..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.