Partner on 18 wheeler

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Lgaff, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Oh man well for starters loads don't even get paid for 30 to 45 days.

2 weeks is like 1 hour in this business.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't see a case for a criminal complaint. Being a selfish jerk isn't against the law. A little financial slight-of-hand might be unethical but unless it's in violation of a contract or obviously larcenous there really isn't any law broken.
    My advice is to write the debt off, learn from it, and go on. Be glad it wasn't more money than it was.

Beating the snot out of the guy might seem like a good idea too but then you might wind up not only broke but in jail.

not4hire and GoneButNotForgotten Thank this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Depends on company.
    If the guy has his own authority etc, youre right, but if he is signed under another company's, youre dead wrong.

It takes time to establish cashflow no matter what, but the guy supposedly already had 2 trucks, this is supposedly a 3rd. Calling or even texting to say things were going poorly or well is the minimum i would expect.

All that is one can of worms, heres another. Lets say hes got his own authority and its like you say. If the guy isnt organized enough to simply keep track of load confirmations and send em on to a biz partner, hes probably not organized enough to even bill his own loads. It would be trivial to add a copy on the loads that were under that truck to a partner.
    And even on a leased to a company situation its even easier.

10k isnt a ton of money, but its also not nothing that makes it okay to just cease communication unless you're basically scamming someone.
    Thats MY reason why its not unreasonable to expect an occasional "hey, things are good/bad, heres the proof" all ive heard in your response is a statement that its fine with no real reason given that should make that fine. Im not op, but i do not understand people that think your way.

5. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Based on the OP's words...I assume this guy is OTR and busting his arse because he knows what he is doing. So he is either driving, doing paperwork, or sleeping.

He was probably pizzed that someone woke him up!

Again this is based on the comments that he knows what he is doing.

6. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    So the real question is, how long do I wait with no communication before I act?
    I thought I posted this question already, but I don't see it on the thread - LOL

7. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Kinda depends I guess....what is the answer to this question?

I would think a solid 90 days but now who knows because he is not responding to you at all, correct?

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  8. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    no response at all. No text, no calls, no email.

9. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Ahg that is not cool at all. So how long man!?

10. Lgaff

Lgaff Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2021
    Right now, several days have passed like that.... (And we were talking everyday)
    But I want to know how long is that to be expected for me to sit and wait to hear from him before I act on it... without me jumping to conclusions, being paranoid or overreacting?

11. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    Does he live in the same city as you? Do you know where he would park? Are there some loved ones there that might let you know next time he is coming home?
    Just me, but I would give him probably two more weeks before putting a full court press on him. After that cut off all money to him and make sure that you somehow line up a face-to-face. Telephone and text would not do it for me after a month.

Cowboyrich and Lgaff Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.