Parts to carry

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LDLWells, Dec 13, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Someone told me it's illegal to have pressurized gas bottles in a truck. Apparently, it's the big tanks, but I think a rookie cop would question it. And with all the stuff everybody wants to carry, you may as well pull doubles and have one as an equipment trailer,,:biggrin_25523:

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Dunno if I missed it but a few of these. Have had them rip or blow out enough to the point the trailer brakes wouldn't able to hold enough air and drag. Less than a buck and can save a road call. 15763420652476263658398275459977.jpg

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You do know that you can flip them around and use them again.

Rideandrepair and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Yes sir but I've had them blow the whole one side off, actually had it happen on a trailer I was moving last night. It is probably more frequent with trailers that get dropped and hooked several times a day. I always have a few spares in my pocket just in case.

Rideandrepair, D.Tibbitt and 062 Thank this.
  6. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Agreed... Be much better than guiding a burning fusee a close distance to thaw a frozen fuel crossover
    line. Tricky... burn the line or drip phosphorus on your hand.

Rideandrepair and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I didn't forget about this. Just waiting to get on a PC to clean and format it for easier reading

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If you work on your truck, you can buy a very large set of tools from Costco or Sam’s Club. Also carry a two-foot and a smaller breaker bar; a tiny, medium, and very large crescent wrenches; and a flat and round pry bar. Ideally you want sockets up to 36mm or 1-7/16 inches. Again, don’t buy these if you don’t work on your truck regularly or if your truck is new.

I do not recommend battery impact wrenches as I personally rarely use them. They’re mostly for removing bolts quickly, but they can also break bolts. Doing it by hand decreases the chances of breaking bolts. The exception is if you want to remove your lug nuts in which case you can get a Milwaukee that can do at least 1400 ft lbs.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    One other thing I do is keep bolts,washers and such in old vitamin bottles and the like. I also pick up any bolt or washer I see. I picked up a pipe plug once that saved me no telling how much on a service call.

10. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    If recommend have couple of large rolls of exhaust tape. I have hole in exhaust flex pipe and its leaking exhaust to point of derating. If I had some exhaust tape is be able to patch it up and go

11. GFTLLC

GFTLLC Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I skimmed through and don't recall seeing a air line set up with a gladhand. I keep one in the truck to air up low tires and it has saved me more than once. Just hook it to the red line and release the trailer parking brake and you have a way to pump up tires or run an air tool.

If used for an air tool past experience has been that the output will not be as high as would be on a normal compressor. My guess is because of the small supply line.

Possible solution would be a fitting in the air tank with a quick release to accept the air line. Maybe someone else with some more experience would have a better solution.

D.Tibbitt, Rideandrepair and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.