Passenger when bobtailing

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Rhinomike, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Rhinomike

Rhinomike Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Does anyone here know if you are not yet working under another carriers authority or pulling a trailer; if it is ok to have a passenger ride with you? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowhunter67

bowhunter67 Light Load Member

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    If you are leased onto a carrier it has to be ok with them and you also need a letter stating so for what date and time the passenger will be with you in the truck with you.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s right otherwise it’s no different than you driving a motor home or car for that matter as long as you’re licensed to drive ie cdl I know law says one passenger only and there is a form you’re supposed to have filled out even if you’re wife’s with you and under you’re own authority but I’ve never been asked for it and really if you’re unladen that is not under a Load you’re technically off duty and don’t need to run a log book I’ve been hassled twice in PA for this put out of service seems they make their own laws there I tried to explain this to them they kept saying because I had a trailer I was working which has nothing to do with it just as my boat is covered while hitched to my pick up bottom line after 2 hours I told them they should be out protecting the public they wrote me a $500 ticket for falsifying logs shut down for 10 hrs went to court changed to not current log $50 fine I wish I could afford to appeal because it’s all in the refs in fact you can run empty home off duty Werner used to deadhead my dad from Omaha to Chicago off duty refs stipulate you must log from home when returning to work I know sounds like bull but it’s true however I have no desire to try to educate the dot as they don’t appreciate that I’ve learned

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I think this sentence was longer than your other one.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Not trying to be a grammar nazi regarding the extended-sentence-without-a-comma-or-full-stop-Im-running-out-of-breath-post-above-you ... but I think you are right on this one.

Bean Jr. and driverdriver Thank this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I passed out twice from lack of oxygen trying to read it.

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The real answer to your question is, what does your bobtail insurance say about passengers?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Unless I am loaded, I am not under my carriers insurance unless I am doing something specifically for the carrier. My insurance has no clause against passengers. So,.. my truck, my trailer, my insurance,.. I'll do what I want.

Hurst

Bean Jr. and bowhunter67 Thank this.
  10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Whoa, where did you get that one? You mean to tell me I can log off duty while deadheading to pick up a load? I did not know that!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    jammer910Z and bowhunter67 Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    No you can't. I think he was talking about "personal conveyance".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.