Pay for CDL school or go with a company school.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mafi, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Mafi

Mafi Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I’ve been thinking and reading a lot on becoming a trucker. I see that some companies are willing to pay for your school but you have to be committed for a year. The community college here offers the course for $3,500 (I have the funds for this). Would it be better to commit to a company or go to school on my own ?

Located in Houston

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Do they offer job placement after you get the CDL, meaning do they have a list of companies waiting to hire their graduates? I've considered both routes for that and I've pretty much decided to go with a company school and have a job with them right out of the box, even if it's a 1 year commitment. CRST and Swift say their trading is a $7, 500 "value", but Jim Palmer is right in line with the $3,500 you quote. Most every company that hires "new drivers" have a tuition reimbursement program, where if you stay X amount of time, they reimburse you for your school (usually a fixed amount each pay over time).

4. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Your always better off to have no contract commitment to a company for schooling. More bargaining power, more choices of companies upon graduation which often have a tuition reimbursement or bonus with no contract commitment. You never know, your ideal company might take you on right out of school, don't be bound to a contract if possible.
    Which situation do you think gives you a more committed company to your future?
    A. Company with contract to pay for your schooling but if you don't fulfill, you are required to pay back. Meaning if they fire you, you are still bound to pay them back.
    B. Company with no contract, with bonus or school reimbursement, willing to train you, no requirement to pay back.

Mafi Thanks this.
  5. Mafi

Mafi Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2019
    To what I read they have recruiters go by and give presentation and you apply to them if you are interested

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  6. The Gels

The Gels Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    If you go through a company school, you are theirs for a year. Pay your own way, you belong to no one. Almost made that mistake with CR England. You'll likely have a better learning experience at the community college school, since from my own experience and things I've read on here, they just push you through the pipeline at company schools. Your mileage may vary and not all are equal though.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  7. Mafi

Mafi Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Yeah for sure the one where you have more freedom and potentially get reimbursed

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  8. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Remember commitment runs both ways. But from your standpoint, the company with more financial commitment is going to be looking out for you more so than the company that can just cut and run and go after you for repayment.
    If your going to go for company school/program, shoot high, like Old Dominion or Estes, they have programs which upon completion will ensure your trucking future with them.

9. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    This is true. For me personally, I've been driving non-CDL for a while. The state will pay for job retraining for a CDL school (I cooked for 20yrs and I'm a professional chef and F&B manager by trade that also went to OCC's trade school for construction). Right now either Swift or CRST will send me a bus ticket to begin training, but I like what JP has to offer as far as the amount of actual behind the wheel time with a trainer (4+mo-vs1to2mo). For me personally, it's not about getting the CDL and hitting the open road, it's also about training and mentorship to ensure I'm the safest driver I can be.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Pay for the school, most of the major carriers will reimburse for the expense without having you sign a contract. Then your free to go to someone like Alan Richie whom will pay you as much as 28 buckums per hour at the 6 month point. Shaggin USPS loads.

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Let me burst your bubble, Most trainers are not worth the title of trainer. I general most of your training will happen on your own by you being observant.

Swift is probably a better choice than CRST, CRST says they cover everything, but they will take it out of your check, Also think about how you feel about sleeping while another brand new driver is at the wheel. Yup CRST right after your trainer kicks you loose will team you up with another trainee. At SWIFT you can at least go solo till you get enough experience to decide.

Good luck hope you get the trainer your looking for, If you dont care for your trainer get them changed out.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.