Penalties for not purchasing workers comp insurance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ml48603, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ml48603

ml48603 Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Michigan
    is there a financial penalty that can be imposed by state governments on 1099 contractors that do not purchase workers comp insurance? The motorcarrier that i will be driving for does not require 1099 drivers to have it and does not offer a policy to purchase it through 1099 deduction. i am guessing workers comp violations would come up during a safety audit of the motorcarrier records.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    Dept of labor can impose a small fine and then raise the rate up to 5% or more, depending on your state

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I don't thnk so, whatsoever. Certain people you work for could require it but no government agency

5. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    As a 1099 it's all on your shoulders. There are private companies that you can get a policy through that cover the same type of insurance. But any decent company that you lease onto would have a list of places to get you pointed in the right direction. Now if your just a drive being paid on a 1099 I strongly suggest you go find a real driving job that is willing to pay you legally.

HalpinUout and redoctober83 Thank this.
  6. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Umm, you are a 1099 Contractor. That means it's all on you to provide it for yourself if you want. Most Workers Comp agencies have provisions that exclude company officers/owners/members (depending on legal structure you're set up as) from being required to have the coverage. For me, in the state of Washington, I am not required to provide coverage on myself or any independant contract that brings his own truck over to drive under my authority. Go find yourself your own coverage that will cover the same stuff so it goes with you wherever you work as a independent contractor.

As @CJndaTruck stated, if you are working as a driver only and don't have your own truck for a company that will only pay you 1099, go find a real company driving job with benefits or proper coverage.

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  7. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    OOPS ! I really need to get some sleep before posting. I thought the OP was talking about Unemployment tax. Yikes

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would not work for a company that does not offer it, get hurt, lose your money and have a chance that your insurance company won't pay for your care.

I guess.

By the way thanks to Obama care, a few insurance companies will refuse a claim that has to do with a work place injury. They will tell you your workmans comp insurance has to cover it and if you are injured as a result of an on the road accident - meaning a vehicle accident - then it gets messy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.