Penn State drops homecoming 'king and queen' titles, changes to gender-neutral term

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Students at Penn State University will no longer be able to say they are the homecoming queen or king – instead the titles have become gender-neutral so as to be "welcoming to all."
    [​IMG]
    PSU’s 2018 Homecoming Executive Committee and Royalty Committee – instead of honoring one man and one woman through campus popular vote – will now give two students “regardless of their gender, gender identity, and/or gender expression” the title of “Guide State Forward Award” winner, selected by a faculty-staff panel to represent the senior class, according to a press release.

“Recognizing Penn State’s continued dedication toward diversity, equity, and inclusion, these changes challenge us to expand our understanding of sexual and gender diversity and extends a welcome that other universities and institutions have been doing for some time," PSU LGBTQA Student Resource Center Director Brian Patchcoski said

The move received mixed reactions from students.

“I think it’s a great idea, especially since there’s a lot of people who identify no longer as just male or female,” student Rhea Singh told 6 News.

But Melanie Kovacs told FOX 56 it was "tradition to have a king and a queen."

This year’s homecoming executive director, Ally Berden, said the move is about “embracing the whole person and the unique experiences and backgrounds of each Penn Stater.”

Penn State’s Gender Equity Center Programming Coordinator, Jennifer Pencek, said she appreciates the “more openly inclusive” process that “allows a variety of Penn State students to participate and be honored…”

After getting the list down to 10 candidates, Penn State officials said the two chosen winners “once known as ‘King and Queen’” could be the traditional man and woman, or two men, two women, two transgender students or any combination.

#UPDATE Renee Clauson-Rivera, 2018 Royalty Committee Director... tells us what these new Committee changes mean for students. I’ll have more from her and other students tonight at 5 and 6 p.m. @WJACTV #PSU pic.twitter.com/68GVF2jt2M

— Alexis Wainwright (@AWainwrightTV) April 10, 2018
    “We can’t say ‘We Are’ and exclude part of our community. The decision of the Homecoming Committee to insure Homecoming is open and welcoming to all is commendable, a true 'We Are' event,” said Paul Clifford, CEO of the Penn State Alumni Association.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    What if it's a woman and a gay guy? It could still be Queen and Queen.

4. Rylan

Rylan Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2015
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  6. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    I think I'm going to marry me a cantaloupe and the first person to say anything about it is going to get sued stupid.

If you can't beat them, turn their rules against them.

But I think @Opus is probably on the right track.

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  7. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Ok first of all who cares about Homecoming in college. Make it mandatory that all college students work 30 hours a week and go to school full time. Anything in regards to homecoming is no longer important. Jobs should be manual labor too, so they know what tired feels Like.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    misterG, tommymonza and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  8. 389driver

389driver Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    What do you get when you cross male and female? A trans!
    I've got a little person growing up. I wish it would make up it's mind what it wants to be it's embarrassing deciding which restroom to use.

9. 389driver

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    #gender neutral restrooms for all

Putting an end to discriminatory offensively biased restrooms that force us to decide whether we want to stand or squat

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    exactly, a beauty queen they is....

although, i have some doubts on the beauty part....

11. 389driver

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Careful! The word queen is now officially offensive :laughing-guffaw:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.